• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Leak

river6822

NAXJA Forum User
I have a coolant leak that I can't seem to stop. The lower radiator hose that goes to the block was leaking at the block end. I first tried to tighten up the worm clamp and it stopped for a day. The worm clamp was digging into the rubber, so I replaced the hose.

Same leak - tightened again - same leak - right there at the motor.

The one thing I did notice was that there was a lot of corrosion on the flange / coupling coming out of the motor. I cleaned it with a SS brush when I installed the new hose.

Any ideas?

Water pump or radiator dripping down the hose making it seem like the hose is culprit? I dunno, check both, look under the car while its running and always look for the highest point the coolant could be coming from, dont forget to check the under side of the thermostat housing.

I have a coolant leak that I can't seem to stop. The lower radiator hose that goes to the block was leaking at the block end. I first tried to tighten up the worm clamp and it stopped for a day. The worm clamp was digging into the rubber, so I replaced the hose.

Same leak - tightened again - same leak - right there at the motor.

The one thing I did notice was that there was a lot of corrosion on the flange / coupling coming out of the motor. I cleaned it with a SS brush when I installed the new hose.

Any ideas?

Either your gasket (less likely) is leaking or it's the weep hole in the water pump. When the pumps shaft seals fail, there are holes that let water out. They let you know so you can change it out before the bearings fail. ;) Check out the thermostat housing, as the other guy mentioned. The weep hole is tough to diagnose because they're (there's two of them, typically) behind the pulley. Get on the ground and look up...take a bright flashlight and shine up behind that pulley. You should see a water trail coming down from the center of the pump, from the shaft.

Good luck!

Just got it. It really looked like it was just coming from around the hose. From the top it looked dry.

150k + on it. Maybe it is waterpump time. does that mean timing belt too ?

waterpump gasket is really the only other thing you need to replace at the same time, unless your hoses are in bad shape. you will need a strap wrench to hold the pulley while you remove the bolts from it. after that, its pretty straight foward.

It is also a hand step to go pickup a small 2oz bottle of Indian Head gasket cement and with the applicator on the bottom of the lid put a couple of inches of the stuff around the hose where the clamp goes. Once that heats up and dries it won't leak, ever. I also use a socket and wrench to tighten the screw type clamps, you just can't get them tight enough with a screwdriver.

It is also a hand step to go pickup a small 2oz bottle of Indian Head gasket cement and with the applicator on the bottom of the lid put a couple of inches of the stuff around the hose where the clamp goes. Once that heats up and dries it won't leak, ever. I also use a socket and wrench to tighten the screw type clamps, you just can't get them tight enough with a screwdriver.

Your 'Indian Head' sounds like the Permatex Aviation Gasket maker. Brown molasses kinda stuff. My bottle lives in the Jeep. I love that stuff. :)

Your 'Indian Head' sounds like the Permatex Aviation Gasket maker. Brown molasses kinda stuff. My bottle lives in the Jeep. I love that stuff. :)

Yup, thats the stuff. I also stopped using the aluminum based anti-seize, I now use the copper based stuff, it lasts longer and is much better around heat, it also has less galvanic reaction than the aluminum stuff because of the copper base.
The stuff I use is labeled Barnes Distribution, 10oz bottle, $26. #21961, NAPA has it, you won't find it on any shelves in other parts stores.

Back