• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG (Wallmart) Land Terrain LT's, anyone run these?

TheDogsAreDead

NAXJA Forum User
All,

After searching, it sounds like a few people on this site have bought or used these tires, but have posted very little reviews on them. I had great luck with A/T KO's on previous XJ's, so I'd like to stick with BFG's. The price difference between the Land Terrains and the A/T's can approach $60 per tire, so the Land Terrains are becoming more and more attractive. Especially since the tread patterns seem to be comparatively aggressive. The only REAL difference i've been able to find is that the A/T's have a stiffer sidewall, which probably won't affect the types of driving I do anyway.

Can anyone give me their opinion or experience on the Land Terrains? I'm purchasing 32's for a 2001 Limited. Any experience with them in snow would help as well.

Don't know specifically about the Land Terrains but Walmart (actually Sams Club) wouldn't put on tires that were a different size than stock for me. Told me it would blow up my transmission and they wouldn't be responsible so they wouldn't do it. Blew my mind. After arguing with them for a few minutes I finally walked out and bought tires somewhere else. I was going from a 215 to a 235.... I don't know if they changed this policy as I haven't been back in 2 years

I've got a 4.5" lift, and already have 265/75 R16 Geolander's on it. If they won't replace my current tires with the same size tire, I might have to cause a scene. Thanks for the heads up though...

My local Sam's mounted my 35's on the XJ. They even gave me road hazzard.

I recently was doing the same research that you're looking for.
I found a few people that ran them and said they were OK.
Less aggressive than the AT Ko's, and don't have as deep of tread, but they're cheap. Local walmart has 31x10.5's for $95, and they're a 50K mile tire. I'm considering them for the MJ's street shoes, but I would not expect them to do terribly well in mud.
here's one of the very few links I found
http://nismoduck.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_nismoduck_archive.html
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82290

Last edited:
The first link contains this quote: "The thing to remember though, this tire was not designed for SUVs. It’s a car tire straight up. If you follow this link you’ll see that tire rack breaks up the tire lines into two very distinct categories, and I think they’re right to do that..."

I'm not sure that I agree that this is a car tire, and I don't even see a review of this tire on tirerack.com. Am I missing something here?

I'm no expert, but looking at the load/speed rating, sizes available and comparable BFG tires, I'd say this IS a light truck tire, and should be just fine for an XJ.

Ahhh screw it. I'm going to buy them. For that price, and I have yet to hear anything negative about them, I can't pass it up. I'll try and remember to post my own review of them in a month or so.

Thanks for the help guys, the input helped force a decision I think I had already made.

I disagree with that statement as well.
It's a load range c tire and it's available in LT sizes. They don't make passenger car tires in 31x10.5
Do let us know how you fare, I'm interested in the opinion, data about these is scarce.

Quote: Don't know specifically about the Land Terrains but Walmart (actually Sams Club) wouldn't put on tires that were a different size than stock for me. Told me it would blow up my transmission and they wouldn't be responsible so they wouldn't do it.

Yeah, Costo is the same way. They will do it if you remove all the wheels and take em there. But, I just went somewhere else. Anyway, Walmart gets special deals because they provide a spec to the manufacturer that guarantees cheap, but also a lesser quality item. I know people who have worked for suppliers for Walmart and they provided the background information about this way of doing business. So, the BFGs you see are not equivalent to the AT/KO. Look at their Goodyear Wrangler's also, there are no duplicates on the outside world like them, they are also less expensive (cheaper).

When we had the GMC Jimmy we put Land Terrains on it. 235/75/15's. They did very well and wore great. I did keep them well rotated. Didn't really have them in too much mud, but they did to great in the snow and wet pavement. I wouldnt' hesitate to buy them again.

Never ran wally world tires, so take this with a grain of salt....

You get what you pay for......I will ONLY run BFG's, they have withstood the test of time, and have never let me down....never.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Never ran wally world tires, so take this with a grain of salt....

You get what you pay for......I will ONLY run BFG's, they have withstood the test of time, and have never let me down....never.

Rev
The Land Terrains are BFG's.

I was hesitant to run them. I e-mailed BFG and got a phone call from them the next morning. I was curious as to why they do not list the Land Terrains on the BFG website. I was pretty blunt as to as if they were not advertising them on their website due to them being not up to par for the rest of the BFG lineup. The lady on the phone stated that they are just as good quality of a tire as the All Terrains. She told me that if I was unhappy with their performance to let her know and "I would be taken care of." Now, what exactly she meant by that I don't know.
(She did sound cute on the phone.:D) I told her on the phone that day that I would purchase the tires. She then called 3-4 weeks later asking if I did in fact purchase them and how they were doing. Outstanding customer service in my book. I had no complaints about them.

Oh, she did tell me that the Land Terrains are made exclusively for WM. Part of the contract between WM and BFG states that BFG will not have the Land Terrains on the BFG site. Now, that is just what she told me, take it for what it is worth.

I did puncture a sidewall with only 1200 miles on them. WallyWorlds road hazard paid off here. Cost me $0 for a new one no questions asked.

AlohaBra said:
Quote: Don't know specifically about the Land Terrains but Walmart (actually Sams Club) wouldn't put on tires that were a different size than stock for me. Told me it would blow up my transmission and they wouldn't be responsible so they wouldn't do it.

Yeah, Costo is the same way. They will do it if you remove all the wheels and take em there.
Costco didn't say anything when they put 31's on my YJ.

When I ordered a set of 32's for the MJ, the Costco counter guy told me they could only mount the tires on the rims and not actually install them on the vehicle - said it was a policy drive by insurance issues. When I went to get the tires mounted on the new rims, the manager saw me drive up. He was a Jeep guy and said it looked pretty silly having stock 225s and 5.5" of lift and said he'd put the new tires on because he didn't want to send me out in public like that. Sometimes the Costco tires guys are cool!

wal mart mounted my ltbs no questions asked, and one of the only places in town i could find that would mount tires that werent bought there

With 31x10.5R15 BFG A/Ts only running $114 at Sam's Club, I'm not inclined to save $20 on a design that has much less history.

Sam's mounted my 31s with no hassle; even warned me about the LCAs rubbing.

Read the warranty very closely. If I remember correctly the will not warranty tires over 31", but they will let you pay extra for it. Check your lug nuts, they have a habit of not tightening them. I am running the land terrains on my DD and they are actually quite nice. And Wally World depending on where you are may or may not put larger tires on your truck, it just depends if someone found a way to sue them for tires rubbing.

A friend at work ran these on her 97 blazer with no complaints, except for a mysterious leak no one could ever find. (It went away when she had firestones installed to replace them). She is the type of person who considers price above all else, though. She never used them for anything worse then 4-5" of snow and a little rough dirt road driving, either however. They are less agressive than the at's, but may be a little deeper then your average street lt tire. When that guy said "car tire", he probally meant street tire or the like.

Had the stock sized (225s iirc) Land Terrains from Wal-Mart on my ZJ that I owned. I'd buy them again without a second thought.

Great feedback guys, thanks.

I know how you feel about buying from Wally World. I hate the fact that I'm probably going to this weekend.

Somebody mentioned that it's only a $20 price difference between the AT's and the Land T's. Well the Wally World in my area doesn't carry AT's, and the next cheapest place is $165 per tire compared to the $104 at WW. For me, thats a big enough save to warrant buying the LT's even though they have less history.

Gunner said:
Check your lug nuts, they have a habit of not tightening them.
Personal observation / practice;
Don't trust any "professional" to tighten lug nuts correctly.
First thing I do when I get home from the pros is tighten / loosen all lug nuts. You don't want the wheels to fall off AND you want to be able to change the tires with what you have.
Nothing like 150 ft. lb. on the D.D.s lugs and the factory "wrench" on the side of the freeway.

Back