• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Problem

snowrun95

NAXJA Forum User
Been having problems for quite a few months now.

Symptoms
1. Headlights randomly turn off
2. All other lights stay on (parking/interior)
3. Can keep high beams on when holding switch in right position

Already replaced headlight switch, didn't do a thing. Checked and cleaned main harness plug by the intake too. They literally randomly shut off, sometimes 4 miles into the drive, sometimes 18 miles into it. They will come back on by themselves after about 15-30 seconds.

Hopefully somebody has some helpful ideas??

I'd check the dimmer switch on the steering column. It differs between 84-94 and later models (and I'm away from home - no manuals) but you should be able to find the switch. ON the earlier ones with Saginaw columns, the stalk operates a rod and the switch is some distance down the column. I forget where the switches are on later ones.

edit - delete suggestion made because I didn't read your post carefully.....and add one possibility:

If they shut off, but always come back on after a fairly consistent time, consider the possibility that they're tripping the circuit breaker. I think that usually cycles more quickly, almost like a slow flasher, but it's worth checking out if nothing else comes up.

It sounds like the circut breaker to me too. I had the same problem & fixed it by replacing my 80/110 watt H-4 bulbs with 55/60s untill I can upgrade my harness. Are you using high watt bulbs?

I am using the stock wattage bulbs. Nothing fancy. Why would it be tripping the breaker in the first place? And can I replace it?

Thanks for the help. I'm not experienced at all when it comes to this electrical stuff

Check all your connections for signs of resistance, clean them up & use diaelectric grease when you reassemble them & do the same with the relays. A Chiltons or FSM with schematics would help. Too much resistance can cause the circut breaker to overload & pop. Just a thought.

How did the terminals on the old headlamp switch look? Burnt or look like they got hot? If so, inspect the connector for the headlamp switch, you could have some burnt terminals causing a poor connection. Usually the plastic on the connector is deformed around the damaged terminal.

Circuit breaker is built into the headlamp switch.

The first headlamp switch that I changed out last fall was definitely burnt. This is a good point, that connector is not in the best of shape. I don't know why I never thought of replacing it...

Back