• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't find leak

pullar

NAXJA Forum User
OK so on my 99 i seem to have a leak somewhere as the seat belt (passanger side) gets wet everytime it rains hard. I've tried to watch while it was raining to see where the water was coming in but can't find it. I've sprayed with a hose and through the carwash and still cann 't find where it's coming in. Anyone have any ideas.
My door seals seem good can see whater rolling in past them.

I recently acquired my Cherokee.
I just finished replacing 18 sq ft of steel in the floor pan of my 96, because the previous owner had no idea there were any leaks or that the floor had almost completely rusted away.
You may want to try caulking the roof rain gutters and also the torx bolts that hold the roof rack.
I used most of a tube of GE clear silicone window caulk on the roof rain gutters.
THe previous owner had a large bike rack clamped to the rain gutters that I think it bent the guttter and opened up a leak.
If you already haven't done so, you may also want to clean out the heater / AC drain. It is comes through the firewall just under the charcoal emissions canister.
Also check the seal between the firewall and the heater blower motor. Remove the wind shield washer tank to get a look at the motor.

As well as cracks around gutter, check for leaks at top of windshield. It may come in there, then run around the edge of the inside roof until it finds an exit nearer the belt. It's pretty common for the windshield bonding to open up when the metal starts to rust - or the other way around, one is never sure which comes first.

Make sure the window glass frame of the door fits properly in the opening. Holding onto the glass frame to get into or out of the Jeep or using it to slam the door shut can cause it to bow outward. I could see daylight by looking up at the door gasket on my 98. I put a 2x4 in the latch area and pushed/bent the window glass frame more tightly into the door opening.

Thanks for the replies. I don;t think the water is comming in from the front however as the only thing getting wet is the seatbelt and just under where it goes into the retractor. The rest of the floor is dry. Even where it's wet isn;t really wet bu enough that the seat belt gets wet or at least the last part that is retracted. I will check the rain gutters, as i suppose it cold be coming in from here and donw the door pilar.
Thanks

Back