• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water under passenger side carpet

german996

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody, I was driving my 94 XJ automatic 4.0, and my gf was picking up her purse and notice water under the floor mat , I have rubber floor mats and underneath was totally wet, next day it was actually kinds of smelly like mildew, I peeled the carpet off to let it dry , helped with some towels and proceed to seal with weather stripping in the firewall where the hoses to the condenser goes through a foamy thingy , this thingy has two holes and a horizontal cut for the wires.
I use the AC all the time , i live in san diego where it never rains, is there is any possibility that any drain hole may be plug ? I let it dry for two days after I sealed it , today I drove it nd it was wet again, I did not see any leak from the dash or anything ,look as is coming from the inside (between the firewall and the inside of the XJ, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated it

regards
German996

The drain is almost certainly plugged. I found bugs in mine once. That water is supposed to drain outside the vehicle, but overflows onto the passenger side floor.

if it was the heater core, I think that my windows should be fogging in the inside, there is no coolant smell either, I will vote for a clogged drain, where is it located and how do I get to it? thanks

Just to let everyone know....If your core is actually leaking DO NOT DRIVE IT FOGGED!!! You are aspirating Poison into your lungs!!!!!

I've been battling the same water leak problems.

The HVAC drain is accessible from the passenger side engine compartment.
It is under the charcoal cainster.
On my 96 the drain is a black hose about 1/2 in diameter with a 90 bend that comes out of the firewall. Get a wire coat hanger and snake out the drain.
Also you may want to remove the windshield washer tank and take a look at the heater blower motor area. Mine had gaps between the dried-out foam gasket and the fire wall.
There was also a gap in the foam where the heater control vacuum tubes passed through the firewall.
I used GE clear silicone window and door caulking to seal it up.

looking at the firewall from top to bottom, there are two hoses, one is a 90degree rubber hose that I am guessing goes to the rear wiper blade for the washer, and there is a second kind of plug which is wet al around , is that the drain that we are talking about? should i just stick a clothe hanger through there? thnaks , one more time

If you want to work on the drain from above, you can loosen the clamp holding the charcoal emissions canister and slide it up about 2 inches, then you can see the drain hose is directly below the canister.
It extends about 3 inches out from the firewall, then makes a 90 degree turn down and goes another 3 inches and is open at the end.
The drain can be straightened out.
Yes, be careful what you jam in there, the A/C evaporator is just inside.

You can also work on it from under the vehicle, find the starter motor and look up, it should be in that area.

it actually looks like a 1/2 inch spigot? behind the canister? I was thinking of using compressed air, thanks for the info, I will try both, I can see water coming from the unibody, and is water from the AC, thanks
german996

fixed!

i had the same problem in my 96 XJ. I found the little right-angle black hose and pulled it off. As soon as i did a stream of water drained out onto the driveway - what a great sound!

I looked in one end of the hose and saw it was plugghed with something...
i blew it out with comp. air and out popped a large white spider! little bastard!

problem solved (this may have been the easiest fix on this XJ yet)

now I have a fan blowing on the carpet to dry it off

thanks!

CaptTrev

hi XJ people, does anybody has a picture of this drain? I looked from under the Jeep around the starter area and dont see any hose, and from the top under the charcoal canister all I see is a spigot that comes from the firewall into the engine bay,and is wet? maybe I would have to find another XJ , maybe mine somehow is missing the drain hose?thanks guys

hi XJ people, does anybody has a picture of this drain? I looked from under the Jeep around the starter area and dont see any hose, and from the top under the charcoal canister all I see is a spigot that comes from the firewall into the engine bay,and is wet? maybe I would have to find another XJ , maybe mine somehow is missing the drain hose?thanks guys

I wouldn't mind a picture either.

Back