• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tc linkage

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
bought another xj today and the guy said the tc needs a new linkage since the tc was dropped an inch. i couldnt pass up the deal so even if the tc is trashed i can buy another one and put it in and still be on top. well the jeep is a 97 with a rustys 4.5" lift with 33s automatic np231 tc. put it in 4 high and just started to make weird ass noise and got worse when turning slightly, yes yes on wet grass no pavement... he told me there was a linkage bracket or something that would fix it but was curious if this guy was bs. i dropped the tc on my last cherokee almost an inch and didnt have a problem.

I ran my TC (it's a 242) dropped 1" for the last six years without a problem. I have now been running it at 1/2" above stock for the last month or so and it seems to be working just fine that way as well. I don't see why you'd have to replace the linkage.. adjust it maybe, but not replace it.

As for the "weird ass noise", can't help you there. Seems the most common explanation is a stretched chain rattling against the inside of the TC.

it makes noises in 4hi but does nothing when i put it in 4 lo, its really hard to get it back in to 2 wheels, i think it needs to be adjusted or replaced with the novack i hope... how hard is it to split the case and replace the chain?

how hard is it to split the case and replace the chain?

I'm not 100% sure about the 231, but my 242 was a piece of cake. Just left the front driveshaft in place and didn't even have to remove the TC from the vehicle. I seem to recall the 231 is a different story though. If you have the funds available to replace the TC, you're better off just ditching the TC drop and installing a SYE kit. You can replace the chain (with a heavier duty one if you want) while you already have it split to install the kit.

Back