• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRANSFER CASE LEAKING....

85cherokoholic

NAXJA Forum User
im pretty sure its my transfer case, and its leakeing reddish brown oil, i know red oil is usually transmission oil, i just didnt think that acutually had red oil in it. is there something im missing here??? i do not know hardly anything at all about cars. any help will be greatly appreciated..:helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme:

There are two fairly easy to get to seals (front & rear output shafts) and drain & fill plugs. Beyond that it's gonna cost you some time & money. The shaft seals will make you pull the yoke and replace the seal, the plugs are an easy day. Front input seal will be a bad day but I'd think it's unlikely that the seal there would go unless a bunch of stuff is going bad.

Mark

Next time you are looking around under your jeep you might try to see if the front driveshaft can be wiggled around. What happened with my rig was the cv joint in the ds (located rearward n the ds) had failed resulting in damage to the bearings in the ds. Result......I spent 1250$ at the transmission shop for a tcase rebuild and new front ds. Ouch.

You must have one hell of a custom DS....

Next time you are looking around under your jeep you might try to see if the front driveshaft can be wiggled around. What happened with my rig was the cv joint in the ds (located rearward n the ds) had failed resulting in damage to the bearings in the ds. Result......I spent 1250$ at the transmission shop for a tcase rebuild and new front ds. Ouch.

Correction there, the bearings in the *tcase* crapped out. Typing too fast.

hey guys i called a mechanic and told him where it was leaking he said it was a front (something) o ring, does that sound any bit right

He's probably talking about the seal on the input shaft. Pull the transfer case and replace both the input shaft seal on the transfer case and the transmission output shaft.

If you're looking for replacement driveshafts give tom woods a call. I had him make replacements for both front & rear, he ships the next day and it's fit to your vehicle so it's a bolt in. Great service, and it's a custom length shaft for less than the price of a factory original unit. And it's made stronger than the factory unit.

Mark

Back