• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quivering '96

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
We have recently added a '96 Classic to our stable.153k miles, 4.0, auto, 242 x-fer case (seems to be working properly), Up Country, just about every option offered. Also, for what it's worth, a Sept. '96 build date, meaning many '97 components under the hood. First thing we did was a new trackbar and steering stab. Now, under light power on a hill, from a dead stop, it will rock, or shake back and forth, like little kids in the back seat jumping up and down. My son flushed and filled the diff, added the additive (limited slip), and we put in new u-joints. It's not the brakes dragging, as we have addressed that situation. It's not the tires, we've swapped to known good tires. Can't be a balance problem, as things are barely spinning at such a low speed. My son thinks it may be bad clutches in the diff, alternately grabbing and slipping, although his other XJ, a '95 sport, has an LSD, and it has never behaved this way. Has anyone ever experienced this, or have any ideas where to look next? Thanks....Ray

I forgot to say that the tranny mount was just done this past week, and I don't think the motor mounts are bad, but I'll def. check them. That is what it feels like- a heavy piece lifting or shifting, climbing and dropping, although nice and rhythmic, not harsh or violent. Will look at the motor mounts, if it ever stops raining. Thanks

Back