• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV Valve -

mrpeepers

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Was running rough up in the mountains opened hood and saw the PCV hose going into the tree had popped off and the CCV valve at the rear of the valve cover was just dangling.

I have an aftermarket air intake. Is the CCV valve supposed to just be loose? If not where should it be connected?

Not sure if you have a RENIX or HO but here is a pic of my 90 RENIX with a HO valve cover and CCV system so it should show what you need.

P1010505.jpg

There are no valves, no PCV, it is all CCV, Crank Case Ventilation. Their is an orifice in the rear valve cover vacuum line connection to the valve cover.

Can you be more specific about this "tree"?

Mine is RENIX. 90 4 Liter I6,

the Tree was a plastic column above the power steering pump that organized lines coming in from the EGR valve and air intake etc.

The front "CCV" goes to my free flow air intake, I need to look and see if something is missing from the intake manifold.

Would that affect crank time and idle if it was just dangling unconnected?

By the way that photo was very helpful.

I don't seem to have a big hole in the manifold. The connector on the photo, goes to the egr solenoid, the into the EGR valve.

i have no idea where that hose was connected or if it was. does the hose have to be connected to anything?

I don't seem to have a big hole in the manifold. The connector on the photo, goes to the egr solenoid, the into the EGR valve.

i have no idea where that hose was connected or if it was. does the hose have to be connected to anything?

The rear hose/ vacuum line needs full manifold vacuum to pull crankcase vapor from the engine, so yeah, it has to be connected. It should (as in pic) be connected to a single nipple just behind the multi-ported vacuum fitting on the intake.

The front hose needs to supply fresh air to replace the crankcase vapor that is pulled out from the back line, so it should be ported to the air intake hose/ air box after the filter.

On the "T" you should have your fuel pressure regulator(round can on fuel rail), EGR solonoid, and thermactor vacuum lines hooked to it (which you do not have now with the new air tube).

There should be a single "nipple" just beside the "T" for the CCV to hook to.

Get rid of the plastic "T" and get a brass "T" from the junk yard to replace it with, those plastic "T"'s will crack and give you issues after a while.

Mine is RENIX. 90 4 Liter I6,

the Tree was a plastic column above the power steering pump that organized lines coming in from the EGR valve and air intake etc.

The front "CCV" goes to my free flow air intake, I need to look and see if something is missing from the intake manifold.

Would that affect crank time and idle if it was just dangling unconnected?

By the way that photo was very helpful.

Usually long cranking time in the Renix is caused by a bad cam postion sensor. I will not effect anything else....just cause long crank time before starting.

Usually long cranking time in the Renix is caused by a bad cam postion sensor. I will not effect anything else....just cause long crank time before starting.

A significant vacuum leak will affect the starting air to fuel ratio mix, make it leaner, which will affect starting time.

je3.jpg

this is the present layout.

-notice the loose CCV hose. The other goes into the Air Intake.
The tube on the intake manifold goes to the EGR Solenoid, then through the "T" into the EGR Valve and dead ends there.
I can post a different angle if needed.
Jeep

Last edited:
Umm so i am sort of confused, are both CCV valves because i replaced both the front and the rear with an orfice thing from advanced(came up as elbow adapter with orfice tube) and ever since oil has been spitting out of my dip stick tube and from the fill cap on the valve cover like it is building pressure.

Umm so i am sort of confused, are both CCV valves because i replaced both the front and the rear with an orfice thing from advanced(came up as elbow adapter with orfice tube) and ever since oil has been spitting out of my dip stick tube and from the fill cap on the valve cover like it is building pressure.

Only the rear one has the orifice. The front should be wide open.

mrpeepers: who put on the aftermarket air intake?

The line to the rear of the vc needs to be connected to a vacuum source. If it was before, you have a vac leak somewhere. Since you no longer have the stock airbox, one vacuum port is no loner needed and should be plugged. There are a zillion posts with vacuum diagrams. If you search, you'll find one and can hopefully straighten your lines out.

mrpeepers: who put on the aftermarket air intake?

The line to the rear of the vc needs to be connected to a vacuum source. If it was before, you have a vac leak somewhere. Since you no longer have the stock airbox, one vacuum port is no loner needed and should be plugged. There are a zillion posts with vacuum diagrams. If you search, you'll find one and can hopefully straighten your lines out.

i bought it post air intake. Really not sure who put it on. I'll try and sort it out, probably explains the bad NOx reading on the emissions as well.

Back