• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Aux light question

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I want to be able to run my driving lights independently of hi/low beam. to my knowledge, i have to find the constant power source... Off of the headlight, I have red, purple, and black to choose from, black being the ground, correct? which wire (sounds like a bomb defusing question) :explosion

Easiest thing to do would be to run them directly from the battery. Make sure you use a relay though. I have mine set up so the power comes off the battery and to the relay. Everything else then comes off the relay.

Get out the test light and figure it out, its not hard.

Personally, I would tap into the parking lights, because if you grab power from the low beam, the fogs will go out when you hit the highs, and vice-versa. But if you grab it from the parking lights, they will stay on regardless of whether you have the highs or lows on, and still go off with the headlight switch.

Not to hijack this thread, but do the running lights wires have enough power to run both the running lights and the driving lamps. I don't know what gauge wires are used for the running lights so I am just curious.

Not to hijack this thread, but do the running lights wires have enough power to run both the running lights and the driving lamps. I don't know what gauge wires are used for the running lights so I am just curious.

no, you use the running lights to trigger the relay which doesn't use much power at all.

thanks for the input...new problem: its all wired up per Hella instructions and I've got...nothing. When I first flicked the switch, no light, and my relay bugged out. after that, there were occasional clicks, and now nothing. No prob with fuses either. WTF?

double check your wiring (obviously)
its harder for us to diagnose it over the internet. something is fscked up, find it.
make sure BOTH your grounds at the relay are good. see if the relay is getting 12v from the headlight circuit. see if the hot side of the relay is sending out 12v for the light itself.

D-I-A-G-N-O-S-I-S.

i like mine setup via hella's method, it fires them up with the highbeams (assuming the switch is on). if you wanted them to be able to be turned on ANYTIME (these are offroad lenses, and not for street use, tieing them to the hi-beams prevents idiots from thinking its cool to drive w/ them on the street) just wire the 12v lead that should goto the hibeam wire, and plug that into another wire thats hot w/ ignition.

I set mine up differently. They are separate from the headlights but I only use them in bad weather on the road(tropical storms/ VT snow storms). The lead runs straight from my battery to the relay. The wire that ties into the high beam runs to the switch. I don't recall where on the switch it is connected too though. Like the others are saying, check all your grounds and use a tester if you have one.

use the unused Aux slot in the underdash fuse box.....It turns on and off from the key I run large fogs off this...that way I never come out to a dead Battery:skull2:
must use a relay.
BobDog

Back