• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bed liner armor?

xj97jks

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been thinkin about putting some bed liner on the rear quarter of my xj, from the rear door back to the tail light and down to the bottom. I was wondering if many have done this, and what you think about it? Also, I saw that Duplicolor made some sort of spray can, I was wondering if anyone has used this, and what they thought of it?

i am not sure what color you xj is. but if it is black then buy 2 cans of plasti cote brand spray on bedliner you can get it at wal mart or most parts stores. it will give a better texture and even coat. you wont see spray lines.
if your xj isnt black then i would buy 2 cans of dupli color and 2 cans of plasticote.

use the dupli color as a base coat. one can will give you two good coats per side. then use one one can of plasti cote per side that should give you about 1 maybe 2 coats per side.

be sure to sand down your paint so the bedliner has somethign to grab.

dupli color is about 8-10 per can and plasti cote is 7-9 per can.

so on the high end 38 total.

it will look great i love it.

here is a pic of the dupli color base with plasticoat top coat.
more textured and and no streaks it blends welll

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onsightphotography/2828140225/in/photostream/

here is a photo of my front with just the dupli color no plasti cote.
smoother texture but you can see streats it didnt blend as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onsightphotography/2828977124/in/photostream/

thanks man, that is exactly what i wanted to see. I bought one can of duplicolor, so i will go out and get one can of that stuff as well. I am doing it tuesday and wednesday, so i will post pics up when done. my jeep is white, so i will definetly do it the way you did it.

when you suse the plasticote be sure to follow the directions as far as the distance goes. it says to spray it about 30 inches away from the panel. that is the best thing the closer you go the worst it looks. 24-30 inches is best. that is the plasticote.

the duplicolor you have to be about 12 inches away and go with a fluid movement.

oh ok thanks for the info...do you think over night is enough time before i can drive it? I plan on spraying it on tuesday, and then driving it wednesday. if not its ok because i have both days off. Just wondering though.

MG2008006.jpg

You want it to turn out something like this?:laugh:

-Alex

oh ok sounds good....
I don't want to copy you!! I'm going to do the rear section from the door to the tail light and down to the bottom, then the bottom section in the middle below the body line. im staying away from the front though for now.......until i do my tube fenders!!!

so the reason im doing it is actually because i tore one of my bushwackers out of the body that weekend of the pnw m&g. i did some body work, and resprayed it white.....soon after i realized that my jeep is more of an off white, and i sprayed it with bright white. well now when i go wheelin i want to take my flares off, so i just want it to look descent without flares, and not three different shades of white haha. and this way i dont have to worry about stcratches and stuff.

Ya I have a pretty good idea of what i want it to look like. Honestly, lately i have been liking the no flare look, but the police dont like that look as much as i do. so for now i gotta switch my flares on and off when i go on wheelin trips. I like the look of the bed liner though on the sides. its rough lookin haha

Getting it taped up....
bedliner3.jpg

....more tape...
bedliner1.jpg

First coat of duplicolor....both sides had one part in the rear quarter where there was some slight bubbling....hopefully be able to fix it later.
bedliner2.jpg

Ya, I really like the bed liner stuff on the rocker panels. I had some Herculiner sprayed on mine and it looks REALLY good... Hides rust holes and pockets pretty well...

IMG_2094.jpg

I noticed you also did the slight angle just above the rocker panels. That is a VERY good call. Mine is not that way and they way the sun reflects off of it makes it look like it is a completely different color than the rest of the jeep.

I also pained the hood with herculiner. It came out pretty well.
IMG_2120.jpg

Looks good, I wont lie.

~Scott

Back