• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributer swap

Sherman_thetank

Keep it pinned!
I have a 88 5spd with the 242, and i just rebuilt the engine in it and im having a problem with the ignition advancing for some reason, so I'm wondering if i can put the 258 HEI distributer on it so i will have mechanical advance and hopefully fix my problem. Thanks!

A common Renix fix is to cut the locking tab on the distributor down so you can adjust it. Even if the 258 distributor fits I don't think it's compatable with the fuel injection. Maybe 5-90 will know. If anyone does he will. It's an interesting thought though.

You can cut the tab as mentioned, the HEI does actually fit, HOWEVER it does not interface with the RENIX system, even if you do get the full electronic HEI where the computer controls everything, as the HEI "values" are different from what the RENIX uses/looks for. Stooopid French system.

That's a good idea i might try cutting the tab off but my problem is in the ignition somewhere, because when i throttle it up the ignition doesn't advance and starts to crap out and back fire so that's why i was curious about the HEI system

You're problem is somewhere else. If its not advancing, your jeep is telling it not to.

Check your grounds, and common sensors.

The HEI distributor is not likely to work - the SYNC sensor won't be there, and the stator/reluctor assembly is probably incompatible with the RENIX system (that's just a guess, tho; and I could certainly be wrong!)

If it's not advancing, it's probably not requiring indexing (that's where you cut the tab, engage the gears as close to "right" as possible, and fine-tune with the movement of the distributor housing.) Failure to advance would be more of a problem with the system not sensing engine speed properly - could be a CPS starting to go West on you, could be a beginning failure of the ICM (which, as I recall, generates the TACH signal for the IP.)

As a check for the latter - does your Tach read anywhere close to actual speed? Have you had it verified? You should be able to use a "non-contact tachometer" on the HD to take a direct reading, and then compare it to the tach. If it's too far off, I'd probably start by changing the ICM assembly - if it's close, start with the CPS (since it generates the base timing signal for both ignition and fuel injection.)

The HEI distributor is not likely to work - the SYNC sensor won't be there, and the stator/reluctor assembly is probably incompatible with the RENIX system (that's just a guess, tho; and I could certainly be wrong!)

If it's not advancing, it's probably not requiring indexing (that's where you cut the tab, engage the gears as close to "right" as possible, and fine-tune with the movement of the distributor housing.) Failure to advance would be more of a problem with the system not sensing engine speed properly - could be a CPS starting to go West on you, could be a beginning failure of the ICM (which, as I recall, generates the TACH signal for the IP.)

As a check for the latter - does your Tach read anywhere close to actual speed? Have you had it verified? You should be able to use a "non-contact tachometer" on the HD to take a direct reading, and then compare it to the tach. If it's too far off, I'd probably start by changing the ICM assembly - if it's close, start with the CPS (since it generates the base timing signal for both ignition and fuel injection.)
I brought it to the best jeep dealer in the area, and they said they checked all the sensors and connections, timing and codes(but only spent 1hr on it :dunno:) How would i go about having the Tach verified? It has a new CPS sensor on it already, that was one of the first things i replaced. I will cut the tab off tomorrow and see if that helps at all.

I brought it to the best jeep dealer in the area, and they said they checked all the sensors and connections, timing and codes(but only spent 1hr on it :dunno:) How would i go about having the Tach verified? It has a new CPS sensor on it already, that was one of the first things i replaced. I will cut the tab off tomorrow and see if that helps at all.

With the right tool, a lot of that stuff can be checked all at once (MS1700, DRBII, MT2500. I have none of these - but I'm always looking to correct that...) and RENIX doesn't store or throw codes. Checking the sensor data sorta checks the sensor connections - but that wouldn't do anything about an intermittent fault. RENIX timing isn't adjustable, AFAIK.

You should be able to use a "non-contact" or "optical" tachometer aimed at something that spins at crankshaft speed - like the harmonic damper - to get an actual reading to compare to the IP tachometer. I'd expect them to be a bit off from each other - say, 30-50rpm or so - but not much more than that.

Well i cut the tabs off today and moved it about a 1/4" advanced and it runs almost perfect. Well enough i can drive it, but if u get in to about 1/3 throttle and hold it there it still cuts out, but NOTHING like before so this week end i will buy a new ICM and see if that doesn't help me out any.

I see you replaced the CPS. What about the throttle position sensor, and the TDC sensor (inside the distributor)? Did you test the new CPS with an ohmmeter? Bad ground?

RENIX sparks when the computer sez to. If it's not advancing, the computer probably isn't getting good data; garbage in, garbage out.

Are you certain the problem is even really timing advance and not something else?

No i didnt test the CPS, but i have changed the distributor 2 times now and still the same thing. I can tell its not advancing by listening to it, and when i cut the tabs off and manually moved the distributor advanced it runs alot better.

Yup check fuel pressure and injectors, even had it at a dealership and they rechecked everything

Back