• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bonestock 92 XJ wobbling problem

Candio

NAXJA Forum User
I bought this shitty beaten up XJ from a friend of mine a few months ago and I finally got it running. I don't know much about it.

Up past 45mph, it starts wobbling pretty violently. It'll stop when I let off the gas. I've also noticed it start wobbling when slowing down from around 50 to 25 with no application of the brake.

Suggestions on the first and most important places to start looking?
This is my first project so go easy on me. Tire pressure's fine, rotors are fine.

Candio

First post and your already a paying member way to go. As for your wobble have someone work steering back \ forth while you watch tierods ball joints for any movement. Could have a bad tire run your hand around tire you make be able to feel uneven wear tire out of balance.Have you tried the search function on this site?

There are numerous threads on this topic. The search button is your friend. OK that's out of the way. Trust me I am nice about this we have a few search Nazi's (sorry to any Germans on here just using the quote no harm meant) on the site.

Now for the help. Check the track bar bushings. steering tre's(tie rod ends), and any and all suspension components. Make sure everything is tight and solid. If all is tight get the alignment checked and madke sure the tires are balanced well. Let us know after that...

Last edited:
If you're searching, one key phrase would be "death wobble". That's when the wobble progresses to the oh-shit stage. I agree with the recommendation to have the jeep on the ground, engine running, with someone cranking the wheel back-n-forth, while you look at and feel the steering parts. In particular, look at the steering tie rod ends and the track bar. A bad steering stabilizer can contribute to the problem, although the root of the problem is usually slop in the system.

A really poor alignment can also cause wobbling..

Well I checked out the bushings... it was hard to see for all the mud but it looks like just about every bushing is cracked and disintegrating.

Also, could someone go into detail about what to look for when the steering wheel is being moved? I'm new at this and I'm not sure I'd know a problem from a normal.

Best way to check for movement is to have someone who can actually listen to instructions at the wheel. Ask them to move the wheel back and forth without putting too much force on it and not too fast, but back and forth at about one second intervals until resistance is felt (engine off, wheels on ground). While that person is doing that, you will be crawling underneath the car, looking for lost motion, starting at the universal joints on the steering column shaft, and working your way down. Listen for clicking and clacking too, but don't worry if there's a little click in the box when power is off, as long as there's not a lot of play. Make sure you look at the output (pitman) shaft of the steering box, which often develops side play. Check all the steering joints, and as the vehicle is slightly rocking, look for lost motion at the ends of the track bar. Basically, there should be no wobble, lost motion, play, etc. at any of those joints. A tiny bit of side play at the steering box may be acceptable, but more than a very small amount will give you sloppy steering.

If you are still looking for problems after that, jack up the vehicle by the axle tubes, just high enough to get a lever under each wheel. Then lever upward on a tire, and look for up-down motion at the ball joints. None is acceptable. Grab the wheel and rotate it, and check for any play in the bearings too. None is acceptable there either. It should be smooth and quiet, though a 4WD axle will not spin freely.

While you have the wheels up, crank the steering to full lock, and rotate a wheel. If it binds, or makes crunching noises, you have a bad axle universal joint. When bad enough, that can contribute to wobble when you're turning.

Finally, if you have death wobble, check alignment and wheel balance. If your wheels are well balanced and round and pointed the right way, it shouldn't wobble on the straights even if the steering is loose, although loose steering may be very sensitive to bumps. If your tires are nibbled and cupped, you'll have wobble no matter what you do to the front end. Try rotating tires and see if it changes.

Good post, very helpful; thanks.

Are there some bushings that are more important than others? I need a starting place. I keep seeing tie rod and track bar, so I'll at least start there.

I started with my camber and alignment. then come to find out it was my tie rods. New Inner/outer tierods on both sides, slapped on a camber kit and away went the "Death wobble".

Best way to check for movement is to have someone who can actually listen to instructions at the wheel. Ask them to move the wheel back and forth without putting too much force on it and not too fast, but back and forth at about one second intervals until resistance is felt (engine off, wheels on ground). While that person is doing that, you will be crawling underneath the car, looking for lost motion, starting at the universal joints on the steering column shaft, and working your way down. Listen for clicking and clacking too, but don't worry if there's a little click in the box when power is off, as long as there's not a lot of play. Make sure you look at the output (pitman) shaft of the steering box, which often develops side play. Check all the steering joints, and as the vehicle is slightly rocking, look for lost motion at the ends of the track bar. Basically, there should be no wobble, lost motion, play, etc. at any of those joints. A tiny bit of side play at the steering box may be acceptable, but more than a very small amount will give you sloppy steering.

If you are still looking for problems after that, jack up the vehicle by the axle tubes, just high enough to get a lever under each wheel. Then lever upward on a tire, and look for up-down motion at the ball joints. None is acceptable. Grab the wheel and rotate it, and check for any play in the bearings too. None is acceptable there either. It should be smooth and quiet, though a 4WD axle will not spin freely.

While you have the wheels up, crank the steering to full lock, and rotate a wheel. If it binds, or makes crunching noises, you have a bad axle universal joint. When bad enough, that can contribute to wobble when you're turning.

Finally, if you have death wobble, check alignment and wheel balance. If your wheels are well balanced and round and pointed the right way, it shouldn't wobble on the straights even if the steering is loose, although loose steering may be very sensitive to bumps. If your tires are nibbled and cupped, you'll have wobble no matter what you do to the front end. Try rotating tires and see if it changes.

Nice! One to save for the definative "Front End Play Checkout".:yelclap:

I started with my camber and alignment. then come to find out it was my tie rods. New Inner/outer tierods on both sides, slapped on a camber kit and away went the "Death wobble".

Not trying to be an Ass but how exactly do you put a camber kit on a solid axle?

I had an 89 that started doing that checked out tie rods and everything seemed tight finaly I replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a heavy duty rancho one and the death wobbles went away. Quick and easy 50 dollar fix

I had an 89 that started doing that checked out tie rods and everything seemed tight finaly I replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a heavy duty rancho one and the death wobbles went away. Quick and easy 50 dollar fix

I would still check your track bar ends, as in make sure they are tight

Back