• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Overhead Console Question

Big_Al

NAXJA Forum User
I have found one in the scrapyard and need to know what all is required for the install. I know I'll need the console, mounting brackets,temp sensor but not sure how much of the wiring is in my XJ or if I'll need to strip wiring as well and if so how much. The XJ in the boneyard is a 1997 also. Thanks, Al

Take the wiring harness that runs from the overhead console to the fuse panel on the passenger side. The wiring will run behind the headliner, and in between the headliner and the windshield.

Since yours is a 97, and you're pulling it from a 97, no splicing should be necessary...should be plug and play into your Jeep. The only thing you'll have to do is cut out some more of the headliner in your Jeep so that it will fit.

No, most of the "factory wiring" is already there (this is the wiring that goes from the fuse panel area, through the firewall, and into your Jeep's computer). The wiring for the temperature sensor is also already there, so all you need is the actual sensor from the donor Jeep.

So all you need:

-Overhead Console
-Bracket that the console slides onto (mounts to the roof of the Jeep, you'll see it)
-Wiring Harness that plugs into the overhead console at one end, and the junction at the fuse panel on the other end
-Temperature Sensor located behind the front bumper...about in the center, but a little offset to the passenger side

Back