• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

remove rear leaf Bushing. any tips...

jeppo

NAXJA Forum User
i'm part way through replacing shckles & i underestimted the rear Bushing. any tips. other than, cutting the eye, or 1 sml & 1 lrg pipe & a Big C-Clamp (which is what i plan to attempt after work, manyana)

jeppo said:
i'm part way through replacing shckles & i underestimted the rear Bushing. any tips. other than, cutting the eye, or 1 sml & 1 lrg pipe & a Big C-Clamp (which is what i plan to attempt after work, manyana)

mmmm........yea.........well.......lots of PB blaster and a 20 ton press will get you there. That whole hand/c-clamp/pipe press isn't gonna get it, trust me.

nope, can;t fit under my rig. i think my clamp/pipes idea is gonn work just fine, now that i've helped to loosen it with a few air chisel hits.i'm not messin with the front. no w@y. & if the clamp doesnt work, my hi-lift is prepared to help out.

Last edited:
jeppo said:
nope, can;t fit under my rig. i think my clamp/pipes idea is gonn work just fine, now that i've helped to loosen it with a few air chisel hits.i'm not messin with the front. no w@y. & if the clamp doesnt work, my hi-lift is prepared to help out.

Oh wimpin' out and only doing the back, HA. Come awn, everybody should break at least one front leaf spring bolt in there ownership of the all mighty XJ. Its like a right of passage................that I don't wish on my worst enemy. Lately, it seems like mine is pissed off at me, even though I am trying to help the old girl with new and fancy parts.

Well, if you got it loose and movin' then it should be to hard to get out. I guess your local Hwy Dept, don't you salt, like mine.

sorry, i mean a few hundred. they salt here good too. enough Broke shock uppers, and i've learned. ones coming loose. the other i've yet to Bash.

Ben H said:
cutting torch to melt it all out its quick.

Yep, when the press can't do it the torch never fails. Sure makes for a goopy mess but they do slip right out quickly. Most of the time I can get it in the press or with a c-clamp. I'd obviously start with what's easiest for ya.

Matt

air drill and a hole saw for cutting through metal .
kinda viscious but it works pretty quick .
then use a rough rasp / file to clean out the left overs .

STOP!

i have done this several times with great sucess.

use torch to heat up ONLY the center metal sleeve. it needs to get good and

hot, heat it from both sides intil the rubber around it is sizzling and boiling on

both ends. use a junk flatblade, the bigger the better, and push the sleeve

out with it. if it doesnt easily slide out, heat it more.

CAUTION: I have had these shoot ~15 feet when pushing them out.

after it cools, use the big prybar/old flatblade to pry the rubber bushings out.

may brake up into several chunks. after the rubber is out, use a sawzall to remove the thin outer metal sleeve from the spring eye.

and you're done! that easy!

hey street. i did that. it doesnt work as good. though, after burning for 5 minutes, they drill even easyer i used 7/16 on a 1/2" drive plugin drill. did 3 holes through the rubber, then sort of remed round the sleeve. & good idea SW. i've got one lying round, doubt i'd want to use it on any thing else after.

If you heat it up with a torch till the rubber dries and cracks (not melts) it will make it very easy to pound out with a hammer, or press out.

easiest way by far, 2 minutes appx per bushing >> use a fat flathead screwdriver, hammer it in the eye where it wraps around to meet itself and tap it out exiting where the screwdriver side is. i did all 4 in less than 10 minutes. shackle bushing is a bit trickier, i drilled out the rubber and sawzalled the sleeve, then used a hammer and flatblade to hit it out. those are about 8 minutes each!

Streetpirate has the formula!

pos. you need to learn, a screwdriver is not a chisel, unless its someody elses. :eeks1: i air chiseld the 1rst one, and it just got a litle loose. and to anybody who thinks it isnt melting, try to wipe it off your skin. plus drilling = no shooting inner. what can i say, some guys just like to torch things.

i never had any luck drilling the rubber, but once that center metal sleeve is out there is far less pressure holding the rubber in, so they are easy to pop out.

maybe my way is only easier for pyro's?

jeppo said:
pos. you need to learn, a screwdriver is not a chisel, unless its someody elses. :eeks1: i air chiseld the 1rst one, and it just got a litle loose. and to anybody who thinks it isnt melting, try to wipe it off your skin. plus drilling = no shooting inner. what can i say, some guys just like to torch things.

man, i cant even understand your post as it seems like 5 topics at the same time. like a xj pulp fiction movie. you NORTH AMERICANS are nutts!

Back