• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double Shackle Pics.

curbdog17

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one done a setup like this before? I have seen double shackles but i wanted more lift and the shackle sits on the unibody, i just wonder if this will damage the body. i have not taken this setup on any hard off road trails but it seems tobe very strong and i dont see any damage to the unibody so far.
doubleshackle001.jpg

doubleshackle002.jpg

doubleshackle003.jpg

doubleshackle004.jpg

doubleshackle005.jpg

doubleshackle006.jpg

doubleshackle007.jpg

doubleshackle008.jpg

doubleshackle009.jpg

doubleshackle010.jpg

doubleshackle011.jpg

doubleshackle012.jpg
before

BEFORE the double shackle
russelscott062.jpg

AFTER the double shackle

doubleshackle014.jpg

So How long until i break down?
we will find out.

Wow that shackle angle looks terrible. The bottom shackle should be angled opposite the way it looks in that 3rd picture. How does it ride?

the only ride difference is it seems more top heavy with a little more body roll but it is just a trail rig.
Why should the shackle be angled the other way?

You need shackle relocation brackets....badly! I personally would not run that set-up.

PM BrianHO about his brackets, they will fix both problems you have, lift and shackle angle.

You need shackle relocation brackets....badly! I personally would not run that set-up.

PM BrianHO about his brackets, they will fix both problems you have, lift and shackle angle.
Why is this bad? what could result from this?

From my very limited knowlage about the rear shackle setup... Dont you want the top mount to go forward so the shackle leans backward

Top of bracket that bolts to the body needs to go about 1" forward for Best angle/ Articulation?

I could be wrong as i know more about VW's by a long shot then 4x4/Xj's but im trying to learn :)

Normally when you run a double shackle, they angle the oposite way that yours do. Meaning, the stock shackle should be pointing towards the front of the truck. Its just the way shackles are designed to work. Right now, you are fighting against physics. Just try it the other way, you will see. Nice bumper mounting by the way.... :dunno:

~James

Normally when you run a double shackle, they angle the oposite way that yours do. Meaning, the stock shackle should be pointing towards the front of the truck. Its just the way shackles are designed to work. Right now, you are fighting against physics. Just try it the other way, you will see. Nice bumper mounting by the way.... :dunno:

~James
Thanks about the bumper
When i first tried this setup i had it angled the other way but did not get any additional lift out of it. and lift is the reason im doing it not for flex or articulation, i live in michigan and do mostly mud, sand, and trail riding i almost never seen any rocks. so flex is not as important to me.

My major question is if this is safe for the vehical, and if not what could happen?

Right now its set-up very rigid, since the springs will flex very little like that. The whole point of using double shackles is to gain travel/articulation, NOT for lifting purposes. What could happen? Well, because the springs dont have their normal range of movement, you are putting any and all forces directly on the spring material itself. Spring steel is not designed withstand that type of force, and you will break a leaf (or leafs). Spring steel is meant to flex. I have broken main leafs and regular leafs before, its not fun.

If you want/need more lift, just use the lift shackle (the bottom one) by itself, or do it right and get a new spring pack. Or, as others mentioned, get the shackle relocation brackets and that should take care of the normal shitty stock shackle angle as well as provide lift.

I was being sarcastic about the bumper mounts, they are kind of scary.... but if they work for you, then thats good enough.

~James

the angle of the second shackle is statically unstable. i wouldn't drive that at all. all that would have to happen for that to collapse is the unibody in the back to fold in. ghetto-licious.

Im gonna just run it until it breaks or feels scary, and i like my bumper, the whole rear end is super tweaked because of a rearend collision from the previous owner. you can see the frame rails are bent up in the pics so nothing will bolt up to the jeep.
thanks for all the great coments i will post the pics of the break down when it happens, i will post more pics after OCT. 11. There is a mud pit i plan to go to with some of my friends. if it holds up to that abuse i will be satisfied with my set up.
I DO LIKE THE INPUT YOU ALL HAVE LEFT KEEP IT COMING.

~James

Not a problem. The first or second time its flexed out those shackles will flip on their own, at least one of them will, who knows about both of them.
BTW, its time to replace the boogers holding that bumper on, they're looking a little dry and crusty.

OMG!Thats just stupid dangerous.If your going to do it,do it right!Heres the ones I built back in 2000.One stop controls the shackle height,the other keeps the shackles from inverting.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine the risk is failure of the lower shackle instead of the weight pulling the shacklefrom each end or allowing the leafs to compress to the rear, it looks as though the weight is all on that shackle. COMPRESSING the shackle from both ends. the steel may start to give or weaken there. Which could leave you sitting or calling for backup.

I may be mistaken... wouldnt be the first time.

Back