• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a question about carriers....

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so here's a question that's probably stupid... anyhoo...:

If I was to grab a carrier from another (say, dana 35) and weld up the spiders, could I just swap this carrier out with the open one when I wanted to run trails? supposing It was setup correctly, is this a reasonably do-able idea? ya know..... bring a bucket and a funnel to the wheelin' area... drain the diff, swap carriers, refill the diff, and run it? I'm just thinking it might be a really cheap way to lock the rear while I wait for my axle swap... (oh, and I already have another d35)

Dont weld a 35

that is a bad idea man. like Ramsey said, dont weld a D35. You would just be asking for problems. Also, you need to think about the fact that if you welded up the carrier and just swapped it in whenever you needed it you would not be guarnteed that you would be getting the proper gear meshing that you need thus causing damage to your gears. It is just a bad idea all around, not busting your chops, just trying to save ya from causing yourself more work.

Could you do it-yes.But the time/energy would say no-way!

So would you swap over the ring gear at the trail head while you were airing down? or buy another ring gear?

If you bought another ring gear, you would also have to buy a matching pinion gear and you would have to get them set up/ set them up your self which would be a huge pain to you or your wallet. not to mention you would also have to swap out the pinion gear.

Or you would have to swap the ring gear and torque it at the trail head. Plus I'm not sure how well it would go with switching carriers because I'm sure that there is some variance in carriers that is accounted for when the gears are set up.

I say that your best solution is to but something like an Aussie Locker for less then $300.

Chris

swap in a 97+ 8.25, direct swap and solid as a rock. you can do that but like they said you would have to set your gears each time.

well... what I would be doing, really is kinda trying to blow the 35 lol. I'm not planning on keeping it long... the idea was to have another carrier, with ring-gear, setup correctly for this axle, and swap the entire carrier/ring gear assembly. doesn't the carrier (when correctly set) just bolt in/out? I know that the 35 won't stand up to much (ESPECIALLY on 35's) so I kinda just want to goof around with it, and see how much punishment it will take. just wondering if this was a reasonably do-able idea...

I am planning on doing an axle swap, with gears and lockers soon (when I get the money), so I just want to see what I can do before the 35 breaks...

if you have the other 35 complete and available, it is just as easy to swap in a whole rearend then to deal with the mess of swapping out gears. Hell, 4 DS bolts, 4 u-bolts and 2 shocks and them roll the new one under. Blow it up and then put the good one (a term that is used loosley w/ a D35) back under it. Of course your not going to do this any to easy on the trail I know.

yeah, that's true..... it would be nice to not have to carry a whole rear-end with me though... I do have another complete D35, but it needs a bearing... and I don't want to buy anything for it..... cause it's not worth anything to me... yeah, I have swapped the rear axle like 3 times now... (d35 to d35 to d35) it's really not that hard... but it took me 4hrs by myself, in good conditions (like a driveway....)

well... what I would be doing, really is kinda trying to blow the 35 lol. I'm not planning on keeping it long... the idea was to have another carrier, with ring-gear, setup correctly for this axle, and swap the entire carrier/ring gear assembly. doesn't the carrier (when correctly set) just bolt in/out? I know that the 35 won't stand up to much (ESPECIALLY on 35's) so I kinda just want to goof around with it, and see how much punishment it will take. just wondering if this was a reasonably do-able idea...

I am planning on doing an axle swap, with gears and lockers soon (when I get the money), so I just want to see what I can do before the 35 breaks...

The ring gear and pinion gear are a matched set. Sure you can split the set up but how long will it last, who knows. You should reset the backlash and carrier preload when you swap carriers. Sure you could just drop another carrier in but how long would it last, who knows. You can do whatever you want to the D35, all the pieces will fit together fine, but dont expect it to be very reliable or long lasting. For the average person who isnt interested in wasting a rear end, the answer to your question is NO.

thank you. THAT is what I wanted to know.

so basically, if I have my next rear end ready to go in, go for it... if it's gonna be a while..... forget about it...

sound about right?

yeah, I know..... I'd love one, but with my budget, it'll probably be auto-lockers...

Back