• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how would you start? fast mild xj build thread

imajeep2

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj,
bought last night....

4 door, 4.0 you know the drill....

like the rock hard bumpers, and skids....

want to clear at least 33's actually 34ltb's
cant afford long arms.....
dont want to cut much
want to wheel and drive on the street 50/50

am i asking for too much?
can only afford like 800 for the lift....but want discos etc.... talked to rustys the other day, they said they would mod their 6.5" kit some for me to help on the price.....
where do i start what should i do.... im ordering everything this weekend, and will be doing the installs next weekend.

You funny!Sit back and read/learn for at least a couple months!

Well, make sure you get your driveshaft situation figured out. My 99 vibrated like crazy on a 2" lift. You might want to get a SYE right away to avoid any problems.

but want discos

just take your sway bars out. you really don't need them, just don't play nascar.

and as stated, start reading and learning.

im no fool, i know jeeps, and consider myself to be pretty well rounded in the realm of tjs etc.... ive built myself a tj and a cj so far...

im just giving enough info to get some quick feedback to see if anything given would change my mind on what im doing.

ive built a couple long arm kits before, and plan to do so on this eventually also, but with my shop being the great outdoors, and me having a broken foot.... im limited to very minor fab work for the next month or so.
but with my tj being sold and this new rig being something i want to pound on soon, im starting asap

its only being driven on the road for this winter, and this winter only......

then its just another rig with tsl's and an exocage

If it's just another rig and you don't want skids or any protection, take the saw to the body and stick your 34's on it and beat it until it breaks.

Hack the body, put on the wheels, then rod the hell outa it, i wish i could have a jeep for only 4 or 5 months,it would be rediculous

Yes.

On that budget you'll need a very cheap lift and a transfer case drop to help with driveline vibes. 4.5" of lift is a good limit for stock drivelines, control arm angles, and steering parts. 6" of lift is really the absolute limit for these parts. You'll be spending that much on any decent 4.5" lift, but it will only fit about 32" tires without some cutting. Modest cutting should fit 33" tires nicely.

Install proper bumpstops front and rear, ditch the rear swaybar, get some front swaybar disconnects. Understand you and your vehicle's limits offroad and go wheel it. Get a CB, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit. Install tow points front and rear. If you want to keep it pretty, get rocker panel protection first, and bumpers second. A SYE kit is a good next item, followed by lower gears, followed by traction aids (lockers). If you've done a few builds, you know the costs of these items.

Jared:patriot:

well i guess i didnt explain enough,,,,

im only driving it on the street thru the winter....

then im going to pound the hell out of it.

im lincoln locking the 8.25 and praying for it to hold thru winter... for some snow wheeling, then in spring, when i re gear., im putting in my 8.8

Then i would save some dough through the winter, it will deal with the snow just fine, i think lifting and what not will actually make it handle snowy roads worse than a stock setup does.

well not to start this debate again. But in my opinion, lock the front first, especially for snow street driving, do you like slide ways on ice much?

Here is my idea. just bought a 2001 stock for now, and I want to wheel it also next summer. I have about the same amount of money than you have right now. I'm doing the rocker protection, gas tank skid plates and t-case for now, and I'm getting myself a good set of winter tire.

I'm giving myself about until Febuary to think about the suspension. A friend of mine has some 33 BF Mud that I'll probably buy, so now I have a goal. Fit 33 on the less lift possible. I'll do the TJ rear flare mod. So I think that with a 3 inch + proper bumpstop I'll be ok.

As everyone says, keep reading.:geek:

99 xj,
bought last night....

4 door, 4.0 you know the drill....

like the rock hard bumpers, and skids....

want to clear at least 33's actually 34ltb's
cant afford long arms.....
dont want to cut much
want to wheel and drive on the street 50/50

can only afford like 800 for the lift....but want discos etc.... talked to rustys the other day, they said they would mod their 6.5" kit some for me to help on the price.....
where do i start what should i do.... im ordering everything this weekend, and will be doing the installs next weekend.

First read this thread, Hey Newbies (xj tech link for you), then give serious thought on what you want to do with your xj,it might save you major bucks and many headaches and as always the people here will help.
redeye202

Want to run 33s on a budget?

Spend most of your money regearing the axles...maybe a locker.

Spend some of your money on gas tank and trasfer case skids. It would suck to lose either one of those on the trail.

Spend a little bit of your money on cutoff wheels and sawzall blades and make the tires fit. Bumpstop the rest.

That might get down to $800.

Back