• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra "surge" forward when braking

euro_trash

NAXJA Forum User
Not really sure how to explain this in the thread title, so hopefully I can explain it better here.
When I am braking to a stoplight, I find that right before I stop I get a little bit of a surge or bump right before the full stop. The revs don't go up or anything, so I am thinking maybe something to do with the brakes or drive shaft?
That's really the best way I can explain it, so hopefully someone can help! Thanks

I think I have the same thing, before coming to a complete stop, it feels like the tranny shifts and receives an extra "kick."

auto??? wait i was going to say shifting down but you said the revs dont go up. Sry

I think I have the same thing, before coming to a complete stop, it feels like the tranny shifts and receives an extra "kick."

Yeah exactly. It is an auto, but I am 99% sure that the revs don't change at all. I will double check tomorrow

Did you have any luck solving the problem Crusher? Or is it just on of those fun things you ignore?

Last edited:
i just read this the other day on a thread, check your tire pressure the thread was something about the back wheels were spinning slower then the front so his 4wd was hard to engage and disengage just another idea

Good place to start with the tires, thanks buddy.

Would the hiss be audible from the cabin? Or should I be listening under the hood?

inside the cabin

its possible theres a leak in the booster seals that opens at the bottom of the pedal travel,
but if your RPM is not rising...kinda sounds like the master is just worn out and "bypassing"

Yeah exactly. It is an auto, but I am 99% sure that the revs don't change at all. I will double check tomorrow

Did you have any luck solving the problem Crusher? Or is it just on of those fun things you ignore?

My revs don't change at all. I've been meaning to look into it, but I haven't gotten around to it (lazyness). Doesn't do it all the time just every once and while, or I just stopped noticing.

I'll check tire pressures as well.

Not really sure how to explain this in the thread title, so hopefully I can explain it better here.
When I am braking to a stoplight, I find that right before I stop I get a little bit of a surge or bump right before the full stop. The revs don't go up or anything, so I am thinking maybe something to do with the brakes or drive shaft?
That's really the best way I can explain it, so hopefully someone can help! Thanks

Just for the hell of it check you trans. mount. I had a similar problem and the trans. mount was shot,replaced the mount and the problem was gone.
redeye202

Do you have ABS? My brakes were surging just before stopping as my ABS sensors were improperly adjusted following an axle swap. Got them dialed in and now they work perfectly.

Back