• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30/aussie locker/35s...break?

SourApple

NAXJA Forum User
hey i know that this has been discussed probably a million times, i couldnt find a direct answer to my search.

if i put an aussie locker in my d30 running 35s think it will hold up decently. or am i asking to break something? i know it would nt stand hardcore abuse but for some fineese work and medium duty could i make it work? thanks Mike

prolly not with stock shafts....get some aloy axle shafts from like alloyusa or something

ran 35 on a bone stock d30(other then the aussie) for over a year with some pretty hard wheeling and never broke a thing. 297 shafts come in 96+ models with ABS i believe. dont quote me on that though

im not a rock guy, but never had a problem with trails, hill climbs, mud etc. i think my saving grace was stock gearing. if i had gears i would have probably been popping shafts left and right, but 35s, and 3:55s dont make much power

ill be running the setup but the later model XJs have the 297x/760x u-joints. Id just get some spare shafts to run, they are easy to swap out and cheap. Dont get alloy shafts if you do that #1 they are mad expensive and #2 that will make your R&P your weak point, not good. Just get spare shafts and go easy on it. With a locker in there there really is no coaxing it to go anywhere, either it will or it wont - and with 35s, it probably will. Buy some spare stock shafts and go easy on the gas and your good.

I run 35s with a 30 that has alloys and a lockrite it does fine just dont hammer the pedal learn to drive with finesse and youll be fine...
themud

im running 33's with mine and putting in the aussie locker on monday next week, i have not done alot of hardcore stuff or maybe closer to none but with the 3.55 gears and stock shafts im happy with my current setup, but like i said im running 33 inch boggers.

I've run 34" bias ply swampers on a TJ (same axle/shafts/joints as your XJ) for many trail miles. While I never had a catastrophic breakage, I did bust the cap on a Spicer 297 joint once. Of course, I treated those shafts/joints like gold on the trail. Niiice and easy, low RPM's. I was running 4.10 gears and a manual trans.

Jared:patriot:

Back