• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

neutral safety switch problems

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
when i turn the key on my 89 xj auto it does nothing, gauges move and the radio comes on. so after discussing it earlier on here i figure its either the connections or the neutral safety switch..

i have a couple questions about checking the neutral safety switch, first off where is it? and what am i looking for, how do i know if it needs to be replaced or if its something else wrong with the jeep?

thanks

It's on the pass. side of the tranny.

Put the tranny in Neutral. If it starts in Neutral and not in Park its a pretty good indicator that the NSS needs to be cleaned.

If it doesn't start in Neutral another sensor might be the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) look on here for other threads about that. If it's not starting at all I think that would be it. But cleaning the NSS def. doesn't hurt. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm <<<------this might help. I have a picture showing right where the NSS is but I don't know how to put it on here, so look up Forums with my SN VTEK1 and click on TCM PCM problem....... the picture is there hope this helps.

Its not the CPS if you can start it with a screw driver from the starter.

Heres how you fix it
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

And if you break it trying to get it off like I did and dont want to pay out your ass for a new 1..............PM me and Ill tell you how to hot wire the jeep to not need the NSS to start (but it will be able to start in drive too...so be careful)

The NSS is inline between the key and the starter solenoid, so if turning the key starts the car while you short the starter motor to hot, the NSS is fine.

It sounds like the starter solenoid is not closing contact between the battery and motor.

Mine was the NSS and had to start is like he does. His NSS is not reading that the trans is in neutral (the contacts inside are probably gummed up and not making a connection), so he is jumping the starter motor b/c the NSS is not allowing his key too.

The im only arguing this is b/c I went threw the same damn thing.

Try turning the key to the on position (with no one turning it to start), then jumping the starter.

Last edited:
i have put the screw driver to the nss with no one turning the key and it sparks but doesnt start

Try turning the key to the on position (with no one turning it to start), then jumping the starter.

What I was trying to say was that you can start the jeep w/o someone else turning the key to the crank position. You can just turn and leave the key to the ON position, and then get under the jeep and put a screw driver to the lower bolt and higher bolt the starter.

If you want you can just hot wire the 2 black wires from the NSS. This will bypass the NSS all together. (But it will be able to start in drive and everything else too...so be careful)

Back