• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emissions+ecu reset= fail?

mr2guy7

NAXJA Forum User
I had a code for a missfire pop up so i changed out the spark plugs and disconected the battery when i did so. I went through emissions the next day and they said the ecu hadnt had enough time to reset yet, and that i need to drive around some more before it will. Does anyone know how many miles before it is reset?
This is on a 2001 4.0l

What does it mean for a vehicle to be “Not-Ready”?
“Not Ready” failures imply that a vehicle’s readiness monitors have not been fully reset. The onboard
computer resets anytime there is an uncommon electrical event within the car. The most common
causes are removing the battery cables, jumpstarting another vehicle, adding out-of-market electrical
equipment to the vehicle, and clearing DTCs from the computer. When the onboard computer has been
reset, the vehicle must be driven in a certain manner determined by the manufacturer, called a ‘drive
cycle’. This drive pattern usually involves a normal combination of city and highway driving for about
two weeks. Contact your vehicle’s manufacturer or LDEQ for specific drive cycles. There may be
nothing wrong with your vehicle. After completing the drive cycle, return the vehicle to the motor
vehicle inspection station for a retest.

I ran my XJ 130 miles with 33's without the right speedo gear in it until it finally had enough to pass. It's anywhere from 50 miles to 150. all depends on the driving.

The two-weeks relearn period isn't always required: it's just pretty much a sure thing if it goes that long.

I know that one of my vehicles has an accelerated relearn protocol you can follow to complete it nearly immediately. Unfortunately, I can't recall if I saw it in my Renix FSM, '93 OBD1, '97 OBD2, or '98 (Neon) service manual... I've been doing a lot of repairs recently.

I'll see if I can find it and get back to you.

Back