• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant get these bolts off?????

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I thought i knew the tricks but im having problems with a few bolts. this firs is the lower trackbar bolt. what should i use to hold the inside nut from spinning? iv done this before but dont remember what i did. the other bolts are even worse. i am tearing down my rear(8.25) and after i removed the rear breaks i am left with that inside sheild. i want to remove it so i can clean and paint ut those nuts and bolts where in horrible shape. i was thinking i may have tocut them and put in new studs. what does anybody think i should do? thanks

Not sure what year Jeep you have, but I will assume it is the same as mine. The lower (axle side) trac bar bolt has a captured nut welded on a plate that [if working properly] should "stop" the nut from turning while you loosen the bolt. The plate that is welded to the nut hits on the bracketry that supports the trac bar. If the nut has broken loose from the plate, you may have to cut the bolt to get it out.

Cant help you on the other question really, but have you tried to remove the brake plate nuts already and they wont come off or what? If you cant get the nuts loose, then you may have to end up cutting them off and replacing them.

~James

I am having the same issue on my 97 XJ. The front lower trac bar bolt is behind the bracket with only a tiny little opening in the bracket to see the bolt with. I'm going to try and put a pry bar in there tonight to keep it from spinning to see if that works. I screwed around with it for about 30 min last night but ran out of steam at 11 pm.

I was able to get a flat boxend wrench in that opening on my 94.

Doesn't that track bar nut have the flag on the end of it to keep it from spinning, I think it's called a capture nut.

It would, assuming that it hasn't been removed for whatever reason. Jeep hasn't had them available for several years now, the only source is a junkyard.

when the captue nut on my tj broke off and kept spinning, i was able t o tack weld a piece of keystock to the nut to hold itself to get it off, if uend up cutting the bolt off make sure to replace it with the right size, take what u can that is left over and match it up, i had t o usea 3/8 bolt to get home until i could put the right bolt in it, and it caused dw hth

It would, assuming that it hasn't been removed for whatever reason. Jeep hasn't had them available for several years now, the only source is a junkyard.

That might be something worth making for people. A nut welded to a flag, should take all of about 10 seconds to make.

The OEM part isn't even welded, IIRC. The nut is simply staked into the flag.

The OEM part isn't even welded, IIRC. The nut is simply staked into the flag.

Not sure what staking is but welding sounds cheaper unless you have a staking machine of some sort which sounds specialized and expensive :D Reminds me, time to go flip the london broil in the sautee for later on.

Staking = mechanical interference fit. In this case, the corners of the flats on the flanged nut get hit with a press, and the displaced metal holds the flag against the flange.

Welding would certaintly be cheaper for a small time operation.

Back