• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Superflex 3.5" vs. OME 3" for DD

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I am currently planning my next XJ build and I need some advice.

It'll be a predominantly on-road Jeep for commuting when the weather is bad (winters can be long up here in Canada, so it'll see a lot of road time) but I also want to be able to take it mildly offroad when I'm out camping/kayaking etc...

My current rig is a 93 with 4.5" lift with custom longarms, 33's, 8.8, 75 shot NOS etc... It has been flopped a few times and it's just a trail rig right now. I want my next rig to be a newer XJ (maybe a 99-01 with more creature comforts for when my wife and I go on trips) and I want it a bit lower with better steering for my wife. My currne trig has V8ZJ linkage with an OTK flip on the drivers side and I have a bit of a dead spot in the wheel that scares my wife when she takes it on the highway.

I'm thinking 3-3.5" on 31 AT's for my next Jeep. Probably an SYE with an AW4 rear driveshaft.

So I'm considering a few lifts... mainly the Superflex 3.5" and the OME 3". I don't want to have to trim to fit my 31's. I will be using Rubi wheels and spacers (if I find them necessary).

Now I'm curious out of these two lifts, what one will have better on road characteristics (ride and steering). I have heard good things about both kits, but I have no firsthand experience with either of them. I notice the OME has NO steering components that comes with it... no control arms or track bar or anything. So if I got that kit I'd want some recommendations on what other stuff I should get to make this a rock solid reliable Jeep.

If I got the Superflex kit, what shocks would you recommend? If I got the OME kit, what trackbar would you recommend? Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate the experience and advice I get on here all the time... this place is a goldmine.

Mark

P.S. if anyone wants to tell me to use the search button, go get bent. I have searched. I'm looking for experience, not links to a "rusty's vs RE" thread or any crap like that.

OME ride I think is better than stock, and would be much better for a DD. The RE kit would be better for off-roading, but the ride quality is no where near OME imho.

If I was to go with the RE kit, I would get their Monotubes shocks or better yet [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bilsteins.

If I was to go with OME I would get the RE track bar.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
I have the 3.5" Superflex on my 98 XJ Classic. I used it with Pro Comp ES3000 shocks and had 31" Mud Terrains and it rode very well. Super smooth, I even thought the ride was better than stock. I have 33" TSL's on it now and it still rides smooth.

I've never had OME, but have heard good things about them. My friend had OME on his Wrangler, the only complaint was that they were a little too soft and he had more sway when turning.

I think you're pretty safe with either kit, though. I'd save the money and get the RE, though.

I basically have the RE 3.5" superflex except I have JKS lower arms and JKS tracbar. My Jeep rides better than most other jeeps and flexes like crazy off-road and I whip my jeep in and out of traffic all the time and I drive in Atlanta traffic. I also bought RE's new monotube shocks that have some nitrogen in them but are designed for a lifted JEEP not just a generic off-road shock for a lifted something. I had just basic BDS shocks before and soon after I replaced them with the monotubes I had a buddy who knows nothing about cars ask me "did you do something to your jeep? its riding a lot smoother." Shocks have a lot to do with it. RE arms are great arms but the JKS still retains factory rubber bushings at both the axle end and the frame end and they adjust in the center which is where their flex comes from so they absorb road vibrations just like factory but flex just as good as any other superflex arms. Same goes for their tracbar, it retains a factory rubber bushing at the axle end and has a johnny joint at the frame mount. I love the way my Jeep drives and handles and it flexes great I love seeing the jaw dropping amazement when people see my jeep go at it. Now the RE lower arms and trac bar are great stuff too don't get me wrong I was just looking for the best of both worlds and I had to pay for it too so if you want to keep price down a little bit then go for the RE stuff there. Just make sure to go with the full leaf packs and not the add-a-leafs because those will hurt your ride quality too, I had both so I know. I personally think OME is over priced for just decent stuff. Well there is my 2 cents hope that helps.

Last edited:
I've set up several RE6030 kits with the OME long-travel shocks (N35L and N36L). If I ever have a DD XJ again I'll set it up like that. It's my personal favorite 'mild' suspension lift. Flexes great and rides better than stock.

I have a RE 4.5SF on my DD and it is great i drove it from Colorado to Tenn and it was nice even my brother drove it and he said that he could not belive it was lifted that much

RE all the WAY!!!!!!!! RE RE RE RE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the opinons guys... seems like both would be pretty good options, but the RE is a bit more popular. I'll keep doing some research though so keep it coming...

I basically have the RE 3.5" superflex except I have JKS lower arms and JKS tracbar. I also bought RE's new monotube shocks

I'm liking the idea of this... monotubes on an RE lift with JKS trackbar and arms... Seems like a pretty bulletproof setup. I have the JKS quicker disos on my Jeep right now and I can tell that JKS puts time and thought into their products and it shows. I'm sure their arms and trackbar are just as good.

Is there anywhere I can choose to buy the kit from that would let me choose the JKS arms instead of the RE ones? Just so I don't have to buy the full RE 3.5" kit and then also buy JKS arms and trackbar? Or do I pretty much have to buy the full kit and then sell off the parts I won't use?

Also, I'm curious what would you guys recommend? the RE Monotubes, or RanchoRS9000X's? I can get both for a similar price...

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinons guys... seems like both would be pretty good options, but the RE is a bit more popular. I'll keep doing some research though so keep it coming...

I'm liking the idea of this... monotubes on an RE lift with JKS trackbar and arms... Seems like a pretty bulletproof setup. I have the JKS quicker disos on my Jeep right now and I can tell that JKS puts time and thought into their products and it shows. I'm sure their arms and trackbar are just as good.

Is there anywhere I can choose to buy the kit from that would let me choose the JKS arms instead of the RE ones? Just so I don't have to buy the full RE 3.5" kit and then also buy JKS arms and trackbar? Or do I pretty much have to buy the full kit and then sell off the parts I won't use?

Also, I'm curious what would you guys recommend? the RE Monotubes, or RanchoRS9000X's? I can get both for a similar price...

I absolutely love my setup and would recommend it tens times over to anyone who is willing to spend the money.

DPG Off-Road has "hybrid" RE kits that include JKS stuff I believe the guy that owns the place is Dierk but he loves RE and JKS components and I am sure he can send you a kit with any combination of stuff that you want. He is a great guy too will talk to you forever about Jeeps haha. But check out his web-site and call him up and talk to them about it.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/

I personnaly like the Monotubes because you never have to adjust them and unless you get the the in-cab system to go with the RS9000Xs then you have to get out and adjust them one by one everytime you want to fool with them. I was actually going to buy those shocks a few years ago until one of the guys at my local 4 Wheel Parts convinced me that they would be a waste of money on a Jeep. I have recommended and installed the RE Monotubes on a TJ and a ZJ and both vehicle owners couldn't be happier and they thanked me soo much for helping them pick out the right parts to make their Jeeps both reliable and comfortable.

I ran the RE 3.5" on my 88. Although off-road the flex was amazing on the street it rode like a damn lumber wagon. I sold my 88' and got my 99 which I currently have and put the OME 3" on it. It rides 10 times better on the road and the flex is about the same off-road as the RE kit. The ride is about the same as stock, maybe a little less. I decided on the OME because its a quality product and its a true 3" lift. I drive 10% off road 90% street which is what I think you are looking for and its the perfect weekend warrior. I bought mine from DPG Offroad and I would highly recommend buying from them.

Other Recommendations: Get the 2" lift instead and run a spacer up front and a 1" shackle in the back. I wish I had thought to do that. I'm sure you will get better on road ride and off road flex. Also get rid of the LCA's and upgrade the track bar. Make sure you get the right shocks!!!

How many of you guys run the Re 3.5 super flex with ome's?

I've got the kit in my garage and can't wait to install it.

RE all the way!! I have a 3.5 RE w/ 32km2 as my DD i love it.

Awesome post. I just went with a 3" OME kit for my 2000XJ.
I plan only to use it for my DD , I have a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited I only use for wheeling.
I didnt get control arms or a track bar yet, I was planning on throwing on my stock TJ/LJ LCAs on when I install my lift. Then down the road get Currie LCAs.
For track bar I guess I will go with Rubicon Express. What do you guys think,?

Has anyone changed upper control arms? Does anyone know if the stock TJ UCAs are the same as XJ UCAs?

Cant wait!!!

Thanks Greg

Awesome post. I just went with a 3" OME kit for my 2000XJ.
I plan only to use it for my DD , I have a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited I only use for wheeling.
I didnt get control arms or a track bar yet, I was planning on throwing on my stock TJ/LJ LCAs on when I install my lift. Then down the road get Currie LCAs.
For track bar I guess I will go with Rubicon Express. What do you guys think,?

Has anyone changed upper control arms? Does anyone know if the stock TJ UCAs are the same as XJ UCAs?

Cant wait!!!

Thanks Greg

Get the JKS TB...its a beast and its adjustable.

Just talked to DPG... they don't ship to Canada. :( They ship to the border and you can drive down and pick up your stuff there, but that's a LONG drive for me... Any other ideas?

you could order it all piece by piece from other vendors or if u have a buddy in the states have them ship the kit to him and then have ur buddy ship it to u.

you could order it all piece by piece from other vendors or if u have a buddy in the states have them ship the kit to him and then have ur buddy ship it to u.

Yeah but it's always more expensive to buy from different places cause then you have to pay shipping for each individual part...

I know PORC ships to Canada for a reasonable price, but I don't know if they ahve the best prices or if they'll mix and match a lift for me...

I have both. My new trail rig has the RE 4.5 SF with JKS JJ LCA's, HD JJ track bar, 4.5 SF full leaf packs in the rear and OME shocks. I have RE drop brackets, ACOS, and BrianHO's shackle relocation brackets getting ready to go on it.

It rides and handles good, flexes awesome
p1010385gf4.jpg

My old trail rig has the OME 3" MD coils w/RE 2" spacers and RE SF trac bar and RE SF LCA's and OME HD leafs(old style DAKAR) w/Teraflex 1.5 shackles. Rides/handles better than stock, flexes OK. I'm in the process of building bumpers now.
joshsrig2em4.jpg

Back