• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax No-slip side spring question

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Soo, I'm going to be installing a Powertrax No-Slip in my C8.25 29 spline this weekend and after looking through numerous threads and the install instructions, I'm trying to figure out how the side springs(the larger spring w/the smaller spring that mount on the outside of the locker) stay in place. If it's all spinning what's stopping said springs from flying out at speed since the whole unit spins? Am I missing something?

It will all make sense when you get it and install it!

I already have it and have assembled it on the bench to mark everything to line up for install, but just don't see how the springs won't fly out at speed....

What speed?Watch an IFS axle turn,you can count it.Plus they dont weigh anything and are very close to the center!

They'll stay in there, don't worry about the springs.

What you should worry about is getting familiar enough with the locker that you understand how to get the side gear and active spacer to mesh together properly. Many people have busted the active spacer during install. I was lucky enough to have an empty carrier to practice on. Don't force things in if the active spacer isn't meshed...it will break off! Definitely use copious amounts of grease to keep things together.

What speed?Watch an IFS axle turn,you can count it.Plus they dont weigh anything and are very close to the center!
You can watch the axle turn at speed? You have far better eyes than anybody I know. I highly doubt you can count the number of turns on a axle at speeds above 10....

They'll stay in there, don't worry about the springs.

What you should worry about is getting familiar enough with the locker that you understand how to get the side gear and active spacer to mesh together properly. Many people have busted the active spacer during install. I was lucky enough to have an empty carrier to practice on. Don't force things in if the active spacer isn't meshed...it will break off! Definitely use copious amounts of grease to keep things together.
Thank you mjma. I'll def take that into consideration during the install. Main thing I'm worried about during install is the pesky C-clips

Last edited:
the spring seats are slightly recessed, if i recall from when i installed mine. they go in and stay in just fine.

biggest things i can offer to help - don't put the thrust washers from the old couplers on the new ones and make sure the syncros are aligned damn near perfect. good luck with the install.

the spring seats are slightly recessed, if i recall from when i installed mine. they go in and stay in just fine.

biggest things i can offer to help - don't put the thrust washers from the old couplers on the new ones and make sure the syncros are aligned damn near perfect. good luck with the install.
I must've read the instructions probably 30 times by now, lol.. You don't reuse any of the thrust washers correct?

I must've read the instructions probably 30 times by now, lol.. You don't reuse any of the thrust washers correct?

haha that's how i felt too. you are correct in saying that you do not reuse any of the thrust washers.

another note that i think might be helpful, when the directions say passenger front of the vehicle, they mean the back and vice versa.

haha that's how i felt too. you are correct in saying that you do not reuse any of the thrust washers.

another note that i think might be helpful, when the directions say passenger front of the vehicle, they mean the back and vice versa.
I believe mine state that you install the passenger side w/the paddle opening facing towards you. That's the correct way right? I don't see how it would matter I guess if either side was vice versa...

I did go ahead and bench assemble the locker and mark it straight across the pinion shaft hole soo everything should hopefully line up in the carrier and I won't run into any cross shaft issues... Or heaven forbid active spacer/paddle problems...

The install is easy,just remember grease is your friend!
***Check the C-clips for proper fit before you try to install the locker***

Last edited:
Just making sure that they seat on the axle shafts correctly?
No,they tend not to fit in the new side gears.Its commonly overlooked and people force the axles in,bad mistake!

Thats weird,out of all the posts Ive seen on here,it was usually the No-slip.I dont recall ever seeing one regarding a Trac-lok,thats a factory carrier!

Thats weird,out of all the posts Ive seen on here,it was usually the No-slip.I dont recall ever seeing one regarding a Trac-lok,thats a factory carrier!
I meant that they had to grind down the C-clips on the factory installed trac-lok carrier to make the no-slip fit...

Done and done! The install was a breeze. The C-clips just fell out and went in beautifully. I was literally done in about 20mins... The clean-up took longer than the install. Tested it down the road, it def takes some getting used to but it isn't all that noisy. Thanks again for all the help guys...

Back