• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank skid install question

don35414

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a gas tank skid today. It was mounted below the hitch arms on the XJ I took it off of. I have read here that it should be above the hitch. Which is correct, or the best location? Thanks...Don

I prefer gas tank skid installed first and then the hitch installed second. The skid reinforces the frame rail for towing duties. Of course, some XJ's with hitches have no skids at all so it really doesn't matter. Whatever you need to do to make both fit.

when I had the hitch on my jeep, i couldnt get the hitch to go over the skid, the hitch 'arms' were too narrow and it wouldnt fit that way, so I did hitch first and skid on top of that. reverse to what everyone is saying, but it worked, and was fine. like already said, do what you gotta do to get it to fit.

I see you have a 99 and the skids for 97 and up are different from earlier skids so this may or may not apply to you. On my 96 the hitch fit against the frame rails and the skid went on top. Looking at how the skid bends out at the sides I don't see how it could be the other way around without a lot of banging.

In this picture the hitch is against the frame rail. The skid doesn't begin to cover the hitch until point A. If you tried to put the skid against the "frame" and then the hitch the rear 5 or 6 inches of the hitch would have a gap (or would have to bend to even contact the frame) which seems like it would be weaker under the stresses of towing.

2885625869_b34870c158.jpg

I tried for 2 hours to get the older skid to go under the hitch. It would not fit. I reversed the plan and put it on the outside and it was a good fit. Thank you all for your imput.. Don

Back