• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which dana 30?

00jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I got a free hp dana 30 out of a jeep. But i dont know which jeep it came out of. I have the little tag off of the diff cover. Is there somewhere i could look up the numbers for it? The tag number is 8953002092 3.73 41-11

what do you want to know?

if its an hp 30 it came from an xj or yj

if it has leaf spring mounts its from a yj

if it has a disco motor its a 90 or earlier
if it has 1 piece shafts its 91 or later, or early w/ ABS.

It's got a 3.73 gear ratio

With 3.73 ratio it's likely to be out of an '87-'90 XJ that had the factory towing package and possibly a Dana 44 rear.

I was just trying to figure out what year xj it came from. Because where the axel shaft comes out of the axel tube it dosnt look the same as my dana hp30. It has a rubber covering like a cv joint. Not like this one in the pic. Did some of the 30s have rubber covering?
uturn3.jpg

So is there any differents between that axel and one that came out of a 4.0 xj? Is the one from the 2.8 any weaker than the other hp 30s?

The housing/gears is fine. You will want to get 97+ XJ shafts for it (760 joints) and probably put new balljoints/unitbearings/brakes on it as those are freaking old. :)

Back