• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock Issues

OFFRDR

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '96 Cherokee with power locks. Well, my (drivers side front) lock is kinda sticky. When I hit the lock/unlock, the button lock goes half way, then kinda sticks in the middle. I'm not sure how to take the whole door panel off. It sucks because I just got keyless entry, and it won't unlock my door...Can anyone help me?

It can have various causes. mine was simple, the manual locking button was full of coke and really sticky. Try the manual locking button and compare it to others and see if it seems extremely stiff.
Low voltage to the lock solenoid, sticky locking mechanism or a rod rubbing on something are some of the more common causes. You can squirt some WD-40 into the locking mechanism (not the key lock), though you have to pick your angles and get a little creative, just spraying the visible portions really doesn't do much.

Removing the panel is pretty easy. Take all the screws out of the door (armrest and lock controls). Then starting at the bottom gently get your fingers under the panel and lightly pull. There are plastic pieces that attach the cardboard panel to the door itself. Work slowly and gently and the plastic pieces will pull out of the metal...but you don't want them to pull out of the cardboard. You will have to move the lock/window contol through the hole and lift the panel upward off the door. Then you can see what makes the lock work and grease and lubricate the working parts accordingly.
Good Luck.

Back