• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement wheel locks?

luv2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I get replacement wheel locks at? Just bought a jeep and conveniently the former owner doesn't have the lug nut key.

Any good tire shop should be able to get the old locks off & sell you new ones. Most auto parts stores sell wheel locks but you still need to get the old ones off. There are several ways to do this, but my favorite is to beat a deep cheapo socket onto the lock & use a breaker bar to remove it. Not healthy for the socket though.

What chuck said, any decent tire shop should have a tool to get them off. Where i used to work we had a car come in at least once a week without their wheel lock key. Some people use air hammers to get the locks off.. BAD BAD idea, one slip and you got a nice gouge in your wheel. there are special tools made by Bluepoint that are specially for this type of project. it only takes about 1 minute per wheel.. the tool itself costs about $90 i believe. it comes in a set of 3. kinda like a socket and a easy out cmbined but a reverse easy out if that makes sense. it has special grooves in the sopcket to grip on and extract. just hammer it on and gun em off..

The tire store that I was at when we couldn't find the key lock didn't want to strip the lug nuts off for fear of damaging my rims. But I figured out that the rims were purchased from a Discount Tire and they were kind enough to give me a replacement key.

well thats not good if they just have a replacement key right on them. they replacements are VERY hard to get for the same locks you got. thats why they make them. If they were all the same what would be the point of having locks in the first place.?.?.?

It's funny how they try to make everyone think the things are secure. Got some with the new wheels I got for the Dak. and the shop put a sticker with a phone# to call and get a new key. Had to have a S/N or something. Very serious and official looking. lol

I have the Gorilla brand "Tuner Locks" and if you loose the key guess what? A 17mm deep socket works just as well if not better. Hopefully those wheel stealing punks don't know about that little trick haha! BTW, anybody have a rear liftgate for a '99 XJ? 97-01 works. Mine got smashed while pulling a Toyota Tacoma off of a huge rock :clap: If so PM me please. Thnx

yea they may work great to get them off but its gonna take more time to get the stuck key in it. and tuners are mostly made for hondas. the rice rockets that have tiny lug holes. thats why they are so small.

The replacement key is a gorilla key. And I found a place on the internet that sells the gorilla keys that told me all I had to do was send them a picture of my lug nuts and they could tell me which key to order. Doesn't sound all that secure to me. Good thing they just came with the jeep are weren't something I purchased for security purposes.

all of this is reason enough NOT TO RUN THESE. ever!
i know the thread was started by someone who bought a jeep with them on it. but these things only inconvience YOU.

I worked on a co-workers YJ a few weeks ago--she also lost the key--I had to grind a notch in the face with an angle grinder and use the pry bar end of a lug wrench to unscrew and/or crack them off. I was too cheap to pay NTB the $40+ they wanted for 5 min of work(took me <30 min once I put the plan in action).

Back