• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny shifts 1st to 2nd way too late

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
96' jeep grand cherokee 4.0L aw4 np242. it leaks out the tranny recently had a pan gasket/filter done at a shop. in drive itll stay in 1st until 3500 rpm before finally shifting to second then it goes to 3rd and o/d just fine. would this be some kind of computer thats messing up or internallly?

Could be either or I think. Check the tranny computer fuses, theres at least one in the fuse block, and at least one hidden behind the lower dash kick panel in the tranny comp wiring harness. Also check all the electrical connections on the tranny and the tranny comp.

Did this start right after the work was done? Did they flush the tranny or just drain the pan?

hey flushed the tranny n found metal shavings. it leaks a lot like i said and revs to 4000 to shift from 1st to 2nd, downshifts fine. ugh!

Sucks. I've never heard of anything good coming from a tranny flush. Drain and fill is the rule.

Sounds like TPS from my experience (very little)...you might try replacing that? At the least, if it doesnt work you'll have a back-up...right?

~Scott

How much shavings? A little in the pan the first time it's changed is not unusual. The TPS is a common culprit for poor shifting as they do wear out (not terribly different than an old volume knob that wears out and gets scratchy).

Where is it leaking? From the pan or out the front of the bellhousing? It is tranny fluid and not engine oil right?

Back