• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm kits?

dslahue

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 96 cherokee that i will be lifting very soon. I am looking at the rusty's 8 inch long arm and i would like to run 35" mtrs. Any suggestions?

thats a lot of money to go with for your first lift. some say its best/ cheaper to go big all at once but i dont know about that. if you really want to go long arms i really like the tnt customs y link kit. it seems like its design is a lot better than rustys. i have also heard some bad things about rustys products. not to knock them i have never tried any of their stuff

I have always heard the saying "go big or go home" I live in Colorado now and I have heard a 4 inch lift and 33's is plenty for most trails but i will soon be moving to texas will be playing in the mud:)

Rusty's is crap.

Go with Clayton, TNT, or BDS

I have always heard the saying "go big or go home" I live in Colorado now and I have heard a 4 inch lift and 33's is plenty for most trails but i will soon be moving to texas will be playing in the mud:)

"go big or go home" is for dumb sh*** and red necks. 8" is way to much for the xj and if you find a hole in that mud, you can flop. If you are going with 35s, I wouldn't go over 6". I have 4.5" with 34s and can fit 35s if I wanted.

Last edited:
What part of Tx? Everything around is here is rocks.

I would go with the clayton 6" kit if I were to start all over again. The Long arms are Beefy and from what ive heard their customer service rocks(if you need to use it). The install was fairly simple to

I have heard several people say stay away from rustys, but have never tried any products from them. What about the RE 7.5" LA kit? The TNT y link kit seems sweet but very pricey.

I have heard several people say stay away from rustys, but have never tried any products from them. What about the RE 7.5" LA kit? The TNT y link kit seems sweet but very pricey.

I'm just a "armchair" mechanic at this point, but I've only heard good things from RE's kits... And why do people want "y" links? It's just a weak radius arm... not to harangue anyone with the kit, but I'd rather have a 3 or 4 link...

And why do people want "y" links? It's just a weak radius arm... not to harangue anyone with the kit, but I'd rather have a 3 or 4 link...

Most long arm kits for the XJ are Y-links, but the kits I listed above are far from WEAK and perform vary well (I know b/c I have TNT Y-link). Also if you give me 1 example of a Clayton kit(PURE BEEF) failing I will :worship: to you and call you GOD. I do agree that a true 4 link or 3 link long arm is a much better option, but there is mostly nothing wrong with a radius arm's and they have been proven to work great if designed correctly.

The only kits that are true 4-links are BDS and Full Traction that I know of. I love the BDS kit and you can find threads I started about it, and the Full Traction kit is good also but being how low it is I look at it as a kit for Jeep speed.

The Absolute BEST long arm kit for someone would be a 4-link properly made by themselves for there application.

Last edited:
Rock Krawler 4 link upgrade. No, not the 3 link the 4 link front upgrade. Mine is on it's way, hope to have it this week.

rk is very gay about their 4 link. i called asking to buy it as an upgrade, and they wanted my jeepspeed number, or they wouldnt sell me it.
wtf is wrong with them?

I have a Rusty's Long Arm 8". I don't think it's crap. I also do not think it's too much lift. I get full flex running 35's with no bumpstops and trimmed fenders. I drop off in tons of deep holes and ruts and I have never even flopped it on its side. I guess some think it's too much lift but I had a 6" as well and like the 8" better. To each their own, but I personally would highly suggest their long arm kit! 8" as well!

I have a stock 96 cherokee that i will be lifting very soon. I am looking at the rusty's 8 inch long arm and i would like to run 35" mtrs. Any suggestions?

Where to start. . . I guess with the search button.

Most people don't like Rusty's. An inexperienced driver going from stock to 8" of lift is a recipe for a flop or rollover. 8" of lift isn't necessary for 35's. "Go big, break big."

In Texas, the only place I wheel with mud has off-cambers you won't be able to negotiate with that much lift. Everyone loses interest in mud pretty fast - the off-cambers keep it interesting. It's mostly rocks around here.

rk is very gay about their 4 link. i called asking to buy it as an upgrade, and they wanted my jeepspeed number, or they wouldnt sell me it.
wtf is wrong with them?

I called them first, they gave me a price on the brackets and the links. Then I checked with a vendor on here, and one more on pirate...the guy on pirate was alot cheaper. When I get it installed I will post some pictures. I have quite a bit of other stuff that needs to go on too.

xcm, PM me and I will give you the number to that guy

Justin

If you can afford it, buy the best you can the first time. Dont waste your money on stuff you will just end up replacing at a later date. Clayton's 6.5" Long arm kit is the tits. I just installed this on my Jeep and it is 100% pure US made BEEF. I dont think you will find a stronger production LA kitout there. When you email or call them, you get knowledgable people (often times Clayton himself), who will actually help you as apposed to blowing you off.

my $0.02 ~James

clayton or rubicon express, im running the rubicon express 7.5" long arm kit and i love it, lots of flex but still very stable, i agree that 8" is too much lift for a xj, friend of mine did the bds 8" lift with 2" acos and a block in the back running 38`s and its incredebly unstable and scarey to drive,

hell i ran 6" of lift for one run and it scared the shit out of me. brought my height down to about 3" and have been much happier and more capable.

this is on 37's btw

Back