• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe Dumb Question but have searched!

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
Is it plausable to use a condenser as an oil cooler. I am using my AC as OBA so I have no need for it. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

James

Could you? Maybe. Should you? Doubtful.

I haven't seen the innards of a condenser yet (haven't cut one apart...) but do bear in mind it's designed for refrigerant - which is water-thin when liquid, and gaseous when it enters the unit. The condenser would be designed accordingly.

Oil coolers are going to be designed for thicker fluids (oil is supposed to get thicker as it heats up anyhow - at least, the multi-grades are...) and that's going to make the condenser core a huge flow restriction.

Could I? Maybe. Would I? No. Cheaper and easier (in the long run) to pull the condenser, sell it for scrap, and get an oil cooler...

5-90

You might try searching again - I think some have had decent luck with some later Fords having coolers (Explorer/Ranger?) but I'm not sure. I'd try searching for <junkyard +"oil cooler"> and see what comes up...

Bear in mind, you'll still need to get some sort of "sandwich" adapter (to go between the oil filter and the block) or a remote oil filter setup to plumb the cooler, tho...

5-90

Theoretically, yes. But with "multi-grade" oils (like 10W-40,) there are short-chain polymers in solution that combine as the fluid is heated - which resuts in the oil actually getting thicker - to a point - as it gets warmer, and running a bit thinner when cold (to help with cold flow on startups, and adhesion, cooling, and lubricity at operating temperatures.)

I know it doesn't make sense on the face of it, but it does when you think about it for a little bit - from an engineering point of view...

5-90

It does thin as it's heated up. There are additives added to multi-grade oils that reduce how much the oil thins out at higher temps. The first number (10) means it acts like a SAE grade 10 oil at colder temps. The second number says the oil is about as thick as a 40-grade oil would be at high temps. I don't recall the exact temps used, though.

Back