• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 clutch hydralic tubing cracked

RangerRick

NAXJA Forum User
So I don't have a clutch due to a 1 1/2" split in the line to my AX15. Local Jeep dealer no longer has a line for it and no dealer in the country has one(N/A). The line is 3/8" plastic and is part of the plastic master cylinder (also N/A). It has a 60, and two 90 degree bends within 8" of the master cylinder plus two other bends and a 180 degree round turn along with a quick connect molded on the end that snaps onto the line leading to the slave cylinder. So, auto parts stores have a replacement master that accepts steel line. But this is a pain to replace a good master cylinder with a ($94.99) new one. If I decide to get a new master cylinder I would have to move wiring and maybe the washer bottle because the replacement is longer. Then I'd need to fabricate a steel line to the right length and double flare a fitting onto it. Also, no one seems to know what size steel line or flex hose to use.
Has anyone else had this problem? Do later XJs have this problem or at least a steel line with a flex hose that would fit the replacement? Is there an easier fix? Will a sleeve work or will it just break somewhere else?
Thanks for any help. Rick

I had that problem with my '89 many years ago - dealership still had them at that point though.

It might be time to consider changing the slave cylinder to the internal (or is it external?) as used later on. Have the dealer check around and see if the parts for that swap are still available.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Thanks Yucca-Man, I found a used line at a salvage yard (Jeeps Unlimited) that will work for now. Yes, replacing the hole set up is the way to go. Next time I need to pull my drive train I'll replace the Master, slave, line, bell housing, fork, and throw out bearing. With a TNT Y-link that's a lot of work.

Back