• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming Front Bumper End Caps

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
I'm ready to trim the front bumper end caps on my 99 and get rid of that annoyingly stupid center section. The problem is I don't know what kind of tools I need for the job. Sears is having a sell on all of their tools this week so I figured I would pick up whatever I need to get the job done provided its not too expensive. And another thing, what do I need to remove the plastic center piece? It's held on by two bolts and I can't figure out what the hell they are. It looks as though I would have to take the bumper off to access them from the other side.

The center is held on with rivets, at least it was on my 98. Took a hammer and punch, and popped the rivet centers out, then clipped what was left of the rivet off.

I used a cutting wheel on a dremel for the endcaps, and a utility knife when the weather is warm enough.

I drilled out the rivets yesterday. Very quick and easy. I just took all of the trim off as I'm going to be trimming the fenders. I kind of like the look without all of the frilly stuff.

i just drilled out the rivits for the cdenter sectio and used a drywall saw for the end caps then cleaned up the edges with some med(100 or somehting close) grit sandpaper

I used a bandsaw on my endcaps.
I still need to install the rear ones and trim the fenders.

DirtyJeep029.jpg

i used a dremel to just trim the plastic enough to stuff my 32.

DSCF0618.jpg

i thought it turned out very well,
i like how it looks stock (unless you know where to look) and it allows me to flex a 32 on the RE 3.5" dang well

DSCF0628.jpg

That looks great! Thats about the same set up i have on 89.

you dont need a saw, or even a dremel... park it out in the sun for a few hours and get them semi warm, then use a utility knife and it cuts like butter...

You cant really see much from this picture, (this is before the lift). I went ahead and trimmed off the bottom section of the stock bumper for better clearance... then trimmed the end caps all the way to where the ends of the steel bumper are so you cant see the hollow ends. Looks good, and no more rubbing.

you dont need a saw, or even a dremel... park it out in the sun for a few hours and get them semi warm, then use a utility knife and it cuts like butter...

You cant really see much from this picture, (this is before the lift). I went ahead and trimmed off the bottom section of the stock bumper for better clearance... then trimmed the end caps all the way to where the ends of the steel bumper are so you cant see the hollow ends. Looks good, and no more rubbing.

That looks good.

On mine I just cut right at the edge of where the fender line was on the end cap.
DSC03170.jpg

I have a question and was wondering if anyone knew the answer? I have a 97+ xj and I would like to remove my endcaps and replace them with the 84-96 endcaps??? Will they fit???

I have a question and was wondering if anyone knew the answer? I have a 97+ xj and I would like to remove my endcaps and replace them with the 84-96 endcaps??? Will they fit???
There have been people that have done it, I think it requires drilling new holes though. You can also use the whole older bumper assembly both front and rear too.

Back