• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 Laredo D35 9 or 10 inch shoes?

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
Im helping a friend do the brakes on his stock 91 Laredo, When it comes to the rear shoes, the parts stoers ask us if theyre 9 or 10 inch shoes for the drums. Its got the stock D35, so which is it?

Drums are usually stamped with the diameter, but 84/9 D35s have 10x1 3/4"" brake drums that are usually, but not always finned. 87/90 D44 use a 10x2 1/2" finned drum. 90 & later D35 use a 9X2 1/2" smooth drum.There is a 10" drum listed for Cherokee/Grand Cherokee 90/99, but I've never seen them on an XJ, but they seem to exist.

I just changed mine on my 90Laredo and my 94sport back in august. they are 9" for the d35. yes there are some rare ones out there with 10" but trust me if you cant see the stamping on them, maybe due to rust, 9" will be the ones you need.

oh and autozones brakes SUCK! I went with NAPA shoes and drums. just a little more expensive and well worth it. I actually ordered the sever duty shoes, the only place who had them in the country @ the time was Billings MT. they made me pay an extra $7 and wait almost a week to have them shipped to PA.
Well worth it! I can lock up the tires if need be and pedal NEVER felt so trustworthy! do brake them in correctly. and always get new hardware. make sure your wheel cylinders are not leaking or you'll be doing the job all over again and will destroy the shoes.(I know)

BTW!!! if you get the Severe Duty shoes. the drum will be an extremely tight fit. you have to loosen the adjuster star all the way and work those drums on.
the autozone shoes slid right on and never felt like they had any bite no matter how i adjusted them. found out wheel cylinder leaked on both sides! changed both and ordered NAPA shoes.
My buddy is the manager @ the Zone so he gave me my money back, and without using the computer, so i kept my rewards points.:)

Back