• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a quick CB location question.

Where do you best like your CB radio mounted ?

• Total voters

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I was about to head out and buy a cb and antenna to install in my XJ, I've had one in there before, mounted on the passenger side of the center console. I liked it there, but it seemed that passengers always knocked the mic off the holder and whatnot. I was thinking about above my rear view mirror, but want some opinions from people who have theirs mounted there. This will dictate if I buy a compact radio or a full size.

I mounted a compact CB above my mirror and I love it. It is out of the way and easy to get to the only thing is where to mount the Mic, I made a little Mic holder, to mount it on the side of the CB. It works out Great, one down side is that I hade to take down my head linner to run the all the wires and cables.

Well mines mounted on the pass side of the console, but that's mainly because the overhead console was in the way of mounting the CB. I had it mounted to the crossbars on the roll cage of my YJ and worked great...easy access, wasn't in the way, and stayed dry during deep water crossings. =)

I mounted mine to the ashtray (I have no purpose for it). I just purchased an extra one off of ebay and drilled a couple of holes in it. It's heavier than the ashtray so I just made a small metal S clamp and just used the factory bezel screw to keep it closed. I have a smaller/compact CB and it fits pretty nice. I do have a manual transmission and It clears just fine.

Passanger side of console, with mic attached to the left of the radio in the blank spot on pre 97s. Clean and doesnt interfer with anything.

Cobra19ULTRAIIICB030.jpg

Cobra19ULTRAIIICB029.jpg

Cobra19ULTRAIIICB028.jpg

Only been mounted for a few days, no complaints from anyone sitting in the passenger seat so far. The shifter handle does block the display when in "D" a little but you can still see what channel your on.
(in the lower gears you can see the full display)

standard.jpg

The radio is mounted on passenger side of console turned diagonally so the display is easily accessed... and mic mount bolted to panel below the instrument cluster.....
As for the antenna.... its a Wilson 5000 magnet mount with either a Wilson 5000 or Sirio PL4000 attached....
This has been my setup since '97 and has worked very well...
The only time a passenger bumps the radio is if they are over 6'.

Last edited:
I have my CB mounted on the driver side of the center console. I've never had it interfere with my leg while driving and it is easily within reach.

I've mounted them above the mirror on my fs trucks & Land Cruiser but I got tired of the mic cord flopping around in my face, off road. It can be a distraction when you least need it. The passenger side of the console works for me now. Appearance wise I still like it overhead though.

I'm willing to bet that theres no way that would ever work if you're taller than 6 foot. I'm 6'4" and my legs barely fit under the steering wheel as it is and the side of my leg pretty much always rests on the TC shifter handle.

I'm willing to bet that theres no way that would ever work if you're taller than 6 foot. I'm 6'4" and my legs barely fit under the steering wheel as it is and the side of my leg pretty much always rests on the TC shifter handle.

Well maybe you don't have your seat back far enough?
It could work, just because your tall doesnt mean it's ruled out. Depends on how high you put it too. My dads 6'2" and it's not much closer to his legs than mine (I'm 5'11").

~Scott

I have mine on the passenger side of the console. The only problem is that i couldn't here the speaker with LTB's. I got an external speaker and put it where the ashtray normally goes.

Ive got both my CB and my HAM radio mounted on the passenger side of the center console with the CB mic clipped next to the ceter dash vent and the HAM mic attached to the left of my rear view mirror. works great for me. no complaints from the fiance about it being in the way yet.

I removed my ashtray and mounted the CB in the recess. Doesn't interfere with anything. Mounted the mic with velcro where the stock clock would be if my rig had one.

Back