• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe a Bendix Problem ?

Blacksmith

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
after a 6 Month summer break today i wake up my Cherokee for the winter time. (1991 Cherokee 242cui , Bendix Break system, )
Everything seems fine but the breake pedal feels hard compared to my 1987 Wrangler or the 1979 K5 Blazer. And the stopping power is not satisfying. For about two years (or 5000mls) i replaced all front and rear break discs drums, pads and calibers. And the breaks worked well (like on my wrangler and the K5) till this spring short bevore i stoppaged the xj for this summer.
I hope the problem is not the master cylinder.

There is an another break problem from which i dont know if it is related to my first problem. At least i dont think so.
It appears for example when i want to stop on a crossroad. If i came nearly to a complete stop on the last two or three meters the rear drums sometime are looking. This appers mostly on wet wether when i start my ride to work in the morning.

Greetings from Germany

Guten Tag! If the pedal itself is stiff, maybe a vacuum issue. Do the brakes themselves actuate properly? You should be able to feel the braking action through a hard to push pedal, as if there were no power assist, or manual brakes. Or does the pedal move easily to a point that it becomes stiff? Try to ascertain that the vacuum booster is holding vacuum and actually helping. Pop the fitting and listen for the sucking sound. Start here and work down the system.

Back