• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bush-crackers

Unearthed

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody out there remove their bushwackers, and decide to go in a different route. I am thinking about buying a new jeep and I really don't like the B-wackers, so I am wondering what my options are for making the fenders look a little better.

a search will yield many results.

a lot of people, myself included, are using TJ flares. you can use the regular set (front and rear) or go with 2 sets of rear flares.

leaves behind little PITA holes... nasty to deal with because the sheet metal is already then trimmed up. my plan to fix was cover up with some modified stock flares (dislike the look of tj flares on xj). the flare would cover most of the holes, and then do a bit of hole filling/painting on the remaining holes

Yanked mine and built tube fenders last year.
Penrose140.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g138/FrankZ_2006/Penrose 05-26-08/Penrose140.jpg

Last edited:
I also don't really like the look of TJ flares, I'll probably just end up putting some mud on them and calling it a day. I hope the rear door doesn't cause too many issue's.

I do think tube flares are in my future though.

While I can't say that I've broken my bushhackers yet (other than a few of the holes pulling thru) they do keep causing my fenders to bend and dent in when I hit the flares. Once I get my sliders built I hope to make a set of tube fenders that tie into the sliders and my bumpers so that they are a structural component. I'll probably end up covering the fenders and quarters to the bodyline with plate to spread the force of impacts and cover all the holes. As for the holes in the rear doors, I guess just try to weld them up as best as possible and paint.

A lot of people might not like me for this, but I think TJ flares look horrible. Most of the time they aren't the right length and personally I think they look stupid.

If you have the tools, I would build some tube fenders like FrankZ posted.

Back