• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 part question on shocks

mindless

NAXJA Forum User
First off my RE shocks are shot after only a year not terribly happy but what ever not much I can do. So now I need new shocks I need some thing that can be run inverted (shock body at top in the rear) to work with my tnt u bolt eliminators. And at the same with the ube they move the shock mount up to the axle so there is a big difference in the mounting point. So should i not run such a long shock or should i stick with it since ill still have a good amount of drop.

Im not having much luck finding good info on the shocks ive heard that shocks can usually be run body up but not sure if only some can and some cant. Pretty much im looking for something somewhat cheap and that will work.

Thanks guys if you need more info just let me know

emulsion shocks have a right side to face up. there is a pocket of gas up at the top, it needs to be at the top...
should you be inclined, a remote reservoir shock can be ran body-up. or anyway you can, for that matter.
-emusion shocks: the oil is in direct contact with the gas, and the piston stroking thru the gas will cause irregular shock valving
-reservoir shocks: have a floating piston seperating the two, the gas is allways in the reservoir applying force on the oil similar to a hydraulic accumulator
i cant really give a definitive answer on other shocks, cant get a good visualization in my mind right now, but my foxes are mounted body-up.

if you move the lower mount up significantly to keep it outta the rocks, you must account for this, you will loose that much bump. You gotta measure for new shocks.

welcome to naxja.

Last edited:
Thanks man and good info. I was looking at the Edelbrock ias shocks but they are only good for up to 3-4 inches and im much closer to 6. So i need to find emulsion shocks is what you are saying to get what i want. Hmm i need to measure my backs to get a good idea of what leanth i need.

bilsteins (5100 and up, at least) also mount body-up, now that i think about it, and are a much better choice then edelbrock, the common concensus is they should stick to small block chevy heads. your paying for the name.

Im running 5125 bilsteins on mine and im at 6.5", they make any length for whatever application you have. My front bilsteins run body down, and the rear I run with the body up.

a friends +6", mj, runs 5100's upfront w/ converters, body up....
5150's out back, also, body up...
(temporary config, but shows orientation)

Back