• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ V8 coils on XJ question

searchingforXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a set of the quadratec HD rear springs that I want to put on my XJ to replace the sagging ones. From what I've read you end up with 1-2" over stock height. I also read somewhere that you can use ZJ coils in the front to get ~1" of lift. Every post says to use the V8 coils.

I am trying to find a source for these coils but on both 4WD.com and quadratec.com they don't list a separate V8 coil. discountjeepparts.com lists a HD front spring for the ZJ, would this be the one for the V8?

Anyone know where I can get new ones? Don't say the wreckers. The guys around here want $50 each for used ones...

TIA!

Yeah, don't get used ones. You won't know how worn they are. I only got 1/2" from my used V8 ZJ coils.

Coil spacers? That's what I put on my MJ for a budget boost.

I pulled mine off a v8 ZJ and am very happy. I also stacked two coil isolators and have a 2.5" RE full AAL. I'm almost even and can't even notice the small drop in the front. 2.25 in the front and 2.5 in the rear. I have pictures somewhere on here.

I went through the same process you are going through. I found it impossible to find zj coils that were specifically for the V8 online. The sales reps from the internet stores I talked to were unaware of the distinction, and one of them told me point blank that the coil for the V8 and the I6 were the same, no difference. So no help at all from were you might hope/expect to find it. I have no confidence my local junkyards will be sure to pull V8 coils, and I just am leary of junkyard parts in general, so no go there either. I ended up taking a shot at some zj coils from 4wd.com for 30 bux each...no lift from them at all, in fact maybe a little drop from my stock XJ coils. I ended up putting the stock coils back on with stacked coil spring isolators for spacers.

Good luck.

Last edited:
ZJ V-8 coils are just a quickie junkyard fix, if you are going to buy new springs spend a few more dollars & buy aftermarket springs. I believe Pro-Comp has a 2 1/2" spring for $80 a pair. I pulled a pair out of a V-8 rig & got about 1 1/2" max out of them, but I know guys who got no lift at all from them. I was skeptical about using them because as previously mentioned there aren't different listings for I-6 & V-8 aftermarket coils but for $15 a pair I decided to try them & it was worth the effort but I wouldn't buy new ones. We got a little over 3" from the ZJ coils with a 1.75" spacer. No way you should pay even $50 a pair for used stock coils. Also stacking oem type isolaters is a lot quieter than the bb spacers, I hate the clunk the bb spacers make.

ZJ V-8 coils are just a quickie junkyard fix, if you are going to buy new springs spend a few more dollars & buy aftermarket springs. I believe Pro-Comp has a 2 1/2" spring for $80 a pair. I pulled a pair out of a V-8 rig & got about 1 1/2" max out of them, but I know guys who got no lift at all from them. I was skeptical about using them because as previously mentioned there aren't different listings for I-6 & V-8 aftermarket coils but for $15 a pair I decided to try them & it was worth the effort but I wouldn't buy new ones. We got a little over 3" from the ZJ coils with a 1.75" spacer. No way you should pay even $50 a pair for used stock coils. Also stacking oem type isolaters is a lot quieter than the bb spacers, I hate the clunk the bb spacers make.

I am trying to figure out where to get new front ZJ V8 coils. You can get new ZJ coils for $30 online, but they don't note that they are specifically for V8s which is where my concern lies.

This is my DD and will rarely go off-road. Like I said in my original post I have a set of the HD rear springs from Quadratec that seem to end up giving people 1.5-2" of lift, so my thinking is that if I put the ZJ coils up front I'll end up with a decent ride, a little bit of a lift and won't break the bank. I don't want pro-comp springs, the ride is way too harsh for a family vehicle and I have no interest in getting over 1.5" of lift in the front. If I was going to do a full-out lift it would be OME all the way, but I don't want that much height and I don't want to spend that kind of money either.

Regarding the price, I am in Canada and we do not have the demand or volume for these types of parts so everything is much more expensive which is why I want to find the right *new* set online from a US vendor.

I've done some more seaching, does anyone know where to get XJ Up-country springs brand new? Apparently they will give me 1" over stock which should do.

I used ZJ v8 coils from the last year they were produced with a 1" spacer and got 3.5" (averaged)... but that is on my 2.5L... so much lighter! I need to get an adjustable track bar so it wont lean any more, though.

I say you COULD get 2" out of ZJ upcountry springs, but it's definately not guaranteed...

35 bucks will get you a set of coil spacers. You'll maintain the same ride quality and they are pretty easy to install.

JMHO

John

35 bucks will get you a set of coil spacers. You'll maintain the same ride quality and they are pretty easy to install.

JMHO

John

My coils are pretty saggy too so that is why I was thinking that replacing them with brand new coils that already have the lift "built-in" is the way to go.

30 bux gets you six coil spring isolators, enough to get you 2 inches lift. If I was trying to get lift with non-stock XJ coils, I'd get aftermarket coils as someone else said, probably OME's and not screw around with the uncertainty of used or new ZJ coils. But that's just me based on my experience.

30 bux gets you six coil spring isolators, enough to get you 2 inches lift. If I was trying to get lift with non-stock XJ coils, I'd get aftermarket coils as someone else said, probably OME's and not screw around with the uncertainty of used or new ZJ coils. But that's just me based on my experience.

I know the springs I want I just have to find a place to get them at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back