• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tried Hack&Tap, Couldn't tap the hole...

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to do my hack and tap about 2 weeks ago....go my shaft cut, the hole drilled, and my yoke machined no problem. But when i go to tap the hole, it simply wouldn't tap. I drilled it out to 21/64" and tried my 3/8-24 tap (per RE's instructions), but I couldn't cut threads in the hole???

The only thing i could think of was that my tap set is brand new, but probably like 15 years old. Could that have anything to do with it??? I've tapped plenty of holes in the past with no problem.......

No, i bought a new yoke from that driveline shop out in the midwest that everyone orders these yokes from......i was just using RE's instructions to know what size drill bit and tap to use

But, yeah, the tap just wouldn't bite for some reason

I am positive the drill bit and tap sizes i used are correct..... :dunno: :smsoap:

I've tapped plenty of holes in the past with no problem.......

Taps wear out and get dull. Spend some money on a good quality brand new tap. A cheap or old dull tap might break off in the hole and then you will be really scr*wed. Be sure and use some oil to lubricate the tap. Your tap drill size is correct.

Last edited:
^i know, my tap set has never been used, it's just like 15 years old.............could that really be why the teeth on the tap won't bite????

If it's already out and your having trouble try a local machine shop can see that they would charge much just for that.

Ya, are you positive you aren't turning it the right way, or you have a left handed tap?

You seem unsure if you used the right sized tap for the right sized hole. My Tap guide shows, for a 3/8 -24 Tap, use a 21/64, Q,R, or even a 11/32 drill.

Go lay an eyeball on both the drill you used, and the tap you were trying to use with it, perhaps you missread one or the other and that's why the tap won't start.

BTW: What kid of tap are you using?

Last edited:
I thought you wrote you were trying to tap threads with a well used tap. I just did a hack and tap a few weeks ago. I brought home a brand new Greenfield brand tap from work and it cut well but I had to back it out every 1/2 to 1 turn to clear chips and it took some extra effort to cut the threads.

A cheap tap just won't do the job.

the tap set i have is made by Alltrade, which i'm assuming is subpar

any recommendations on good brands??? are Craftsman any good?

Alltrade, that is your problem. Made in China. Just buy a good quality brand name tap. Cheap tap & dies don't work well on hardened steel. Any quality brand will work for you & will work with your cheapo tap set.

You seem unsure if you used the right sized tap for the right sized hole. My Tap guide shows, for a 3/8 -24 Tap, use a 21/64, Q,R, or even a 11/32 drill.

Go lay an eyeball on both the drill you used, and the tap you were trying to use with it, perhaps you missread one or the other and that's why the tap won't start.

BTW: What kid of tap are you using?

cutting 3/8-24 threads or anything large diameter with lots of material removal, it helps so much to go super slow and back it out and clean the tap every half turn or so. it may be overkill, but it keeps the threads clean and the tap in 1 piece.

Back