• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN header gasket eaten by coolant leak at manifold bolt #6

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
:eek:wl:FYI: The thick composite gasket that comes with the APN header dissolves dramatically from coolant exposure. A little oil spill seems harmless, but don't let coolant leak or soak into that APN gasket or it will soften and potentially fail. (This probably includes brake fluid, which is another glycol.)

I've got a tiny coolant leak at manifold stud 6, (that intersects head bolt 11). Obviously the sealant there has failed.
The tiny leak ate an alarming chunk out of the APN header gasket, leaving the gasket core picked clean. I've known there was a leak for a while but could never catch it. It was finally bubbling out yesterday. Black bubbles of liquified gasket were dribbling out of the "bite" . Ugly stuff.

My plan is to pull the stud and butter it with high temp thread sealant, let it cure all weekend and drive again. Hopefully an exhaust leak isn't close behind. No sign yet, fingers crossed.

:idea:-Remflex makes a carbon gasket for the 91-98 4.0

http://catalog.remflex.com/product_p/rf10-001.htm

I pulled #6 stud, and buttered it up with high temp permatex. Letting the sealant set a few days, it never hardens fully. It's a lot easier to chase out than RTV, handles 400° F.

If it sitll leaks I'm looking at this Remflex gasket that claims 3000° F, and 50% crush.

But, an OEM gasket is 9$ and easily lasts over a decade.

Last edited:
Back