• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5L stroker?

burkemotorcross

NAXJA Forum User
Been thinking of building a stroker motor for my 97 XJ, AX-15, 2wd. I have access to a complete I6 out of a 93 XJ hooked to a AW4, which needs a rebuild. Why cant i just put the 4.2L Crank and Rods in it while keeping the stock H.O. cam and valvetrain, id like to avoid machine work if possible, and gain a few extra ponies? would this be feasible without decking the head? im guessing it will have around a 9.4 to 1 compression ratio if i leave it alone. id like to be able to run it on 87 octane if possible?

Just want to get some opinions/ideas on how to undertake this project.

Thanks in advance

You could do the above and gain some power--I'd recommend the smaller .043" mopar/victor reinz HG to keep the quench down(the piston will be further down the hole, so bringing the head closer will help some) since you aren't having any machine work done, but you'd more than likely have to use higher grade gas unless you lived @ high alts. Others use pistons with bigger cc dishes to bring the comp down. I have a high comp--10:1 4.6, but smaller quench .061"(I had block decked .030" so pistons are .010" from deck + .051" HG) and run fine on 93 octane @ sealevel.

Back