• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'corporate' diff swap & e-locker

XJ00RHD

NAXJA Forum User
first off, i've been a jeep owner for all of a month now, I only have the use of one hand so I stupidly trusted mechanics to get near my '00 RHD.
so apparently they more or less huffed the front diff. because they reassembled it wrong. they also told me that the stock limited slip in the rear was gone.
I checked my OEM options report and it says the front's a dana 30/181. glorious. but the back is a 'corporate' (i'm assuming that means made by jeep) model.
one of the things i really want to do is put an e-locker in the rear, and i can't seem to find them for anything but dana rear ends.

can i just buy a couple dana 30's and a locker and swap shit in or do I need a whole new rear axle?

Thanks in advance for your help

ps: i'm sorry if this question has been asked 500 times, i couldn't find it

If they borked the front diff, I'd be expecting them to fix it.

An '00 should have a low pinion Dana 30 in the front. If it's got ABS, I'd expect a Dana 35C (custom? corporate?) in the rear. If it doesn't have ABS, I'd look for a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle.

If you've got an 8.25, your options are pretty limited. Auburn makes a pretty good limited slip, and there are a couple of locker options. Personally, I'm not aware of an electric locker for an 8.25.

well it's one mechanic's opinion against another as to fault, so i'm never gonna get it out of them
i don't see ABS as a listed option, and i'm assuming a "corporate 8.25 rear" is the same thing you're talking about
thanks, i'll look into the auburn diffs

or arb!!

I have the Auburn in my 96 and would highly recommend it to those looking for an LSD.

well it's one mechanic's opinion against another as to fault, so i'm never gonna get it out of them
i don't see ABS as a listed option, and i'm assuming a "corporate 8.25 rear" is the same thing you're talking about
thanks, i'll look into the auburn diffs

You can have no ABS and still have a D35. Just look for a round pumpkin(D35) or one with a flat bottom pumpkin(C 8.25).

You can have no ABS and still have a D35. Just look for a round pumpkin(D35) or one with a flat bottom pumpkin(C 8.25).
If you've found a non-ABS equipped XJ with a D35C, I'd like the details.

If your build sheet says corporate 8.25 thats the same as the chrysler 8.25, the names get swapped often on here. It should be the 29 spline version, some say as strong or very close to a stock XJ 44.

Aftermarket is obviously more limited, however. I think all the locker options have been mentioned :dunno: Unless you want to wait for the Aussie :laugh:

??????

If you're limiting your discussion to the 2000 model year that the OP is talking about, then you are right, a D35C w/o ABS would be hard to find. If you look at the entire production run of the XJ, the D35C w/o ABS is one of the most common axles. I probably see 100 of those a year in the junkyard in earlier model year XJs.

If your build sheet says corporate 8.25 thats the same as the chrysler 8.25, the names get swapped often on here. It should be the 29 spline version, some say as strong or very close to a stock XJ 44.

out of curiosity, how do you figure the 29 spline version?
i realize i'm a noob, just looking for the rationale, i'm not second guessing you

??????

If you're limiting your discussion to the 2000 model year that the OP is talking about, then you are right, a D35C w/o ABS would be hard to find. If you look at the entire production run of the XJ, the D35C w/o ABS is one of the most common axles. I probably see 100 of those a year in the junkyard in earlier model year XJs.

That must have been the confusion. At first I was wondering why he said that he'd like to see a D35C W/O ABS. I see them everyday hah. Then I realized he must have been refering to 2000 model years.

Sorry for the confusion ChiXJeff

out of curiosity, how do you figure the 29 spline version?
i realize i'm a noob, just looking for the rationale, i'm not second guessing you

They were manufactured with 27 spline shafts until somewhere in 96, nobody really knows when exactly. But virtually all 97s have 29, and newer than that definately have 29 spline shafts. At least I don't know of anyone that has seen otherwise.

Thank y'all for your help!
Now I just need to come up with the dough to buy a front & rear diff along with shocks or a complete mild lift kit

Take care

Back