• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 to 93 HP30 swap?

bluebomber

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
i have searched this info but not getting all of it....

i have an 01xj and while i'm doing the re 4.5 lift, i can get my hands on a 93 hp30.

after reading the searched threads, i have a few questions. is this a direct swap? are the u joints 260's on the 93 or did they go with the 297's by then. if they are the smaller u joints, are the 01 shafts a direct replace for the older ones? are seals the same?

i'd appreciate anyone's knowledge before i get any further into going this route.

thanx....

Yes, the O1 shafts will work in the 93 housing. The 93 may or may not have the bigger joints. If it has tone rings for ABS it's got 297's. If it's geared the same, I'd just swap everything over from your housing. Knuckles, brakes, shafts.

i went with a 95 HP D30 to swap because it came with the bigger u-joints (not the same ones as ABS equipped, but still bigger). i would look for a 95 - 99 HP D30 to swap in. but if you wanted u could just take your 01 shafts and put it in the 93 housing, its up to you, and yes it is a direct swap

i went with a 95 HP D30 to swap because it came with the bigger u-joints (not the same ones as ABS equipped, but still bigger). i would look for a 95 - 99 HP D30 to swap in. but if you wanted u could just take your 01 shafts and put it in the 93 housing, its up to you, and yes it is a direct swap

Details please......

Is the HP D30 outa the 93 a disconnect axle or non?? If it's got the disconnect you'll have to do some work to get a seal in there so that you can run non-disco shafts.

I'm interested in this too. The local JY has a 95 with the front axle intact, but am leery of grabbing a HP30 out of anything but a 97-99 because I really don't know when the cut off is for the disconnect axle is, or how to make it work if it is a disco.

Thanx again for all the input.

I'll have to check the axle again. just to verify, the vacuum disconnect is on the passenger side by the uca?? i'll have to look for abs tone ring as well....

You can run ABS shafts without ABS...that's not an issue.

I forget the exact vac disco years.....definitely none after 95...but they may have cut them off earlier. Just look at the axle on the passenger side, there is a big burly part in the center of the long tube. It's not very hard to make a disco housing accept regular shafts, just have to dremel to make a seal fit.

You can tell if it is a diso by the upper control arm mount on the passenger side. I the mount has a box on it with a cover then it is a disco. I am thinking of doing the same thing but I might just get a custom 44 HP. I want to put my money were it counts. I also want the nuckles welded to the proper caster for my lift.

Back