• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Setting up gears need gear check compound

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure what you call it but I can't seem to find the stuff. Nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about. Anyone have a proper name or who makes it? Thanks!

You should be able to use machinist's layout dye - essentially the same stuff. You can find it in red or blue usually, and blue will give you more contrast.

Check any local MRO house for the stuff. You'll find it handy to have around if you do any fabrication anyhow...

It usually comes with the install kits,otherwise the Chevy dealer carries it!

Go to any craft store, and get a tube of oil paint. It comes in every color you can think of and the price is reasonable. I usually use a yellow-gold, because it is a lot easier to see against the dark grey of the gear teeth.

You should be able to use machinist's layout dye - essentially the same stuff. You can find it in red or blue usually, and blue will give you more contrast.

Check any local MRO house for the stuff. You'll find it handy to have around if you do any fabrication anyhow...

A guy told me to look for prussion blue, same stuff?I think he said it was for bearings.

A guy told me to look for prussion blue, same stuff?I think he said it was for bearings.

"Prussian Blue" is another name for what I'm talking about. Yep - same stuff.

It's used for quite a few things around the shop, although I primarily use it for either a layout dye, or to fill in after I engrave something (to make it stand out more.)

Back