• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Early XJ seat upgrades

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ. When I got it the seats were badly in need of replacement. So I went to the local junkyard and pulled another set of XJ seats that were in better shape, however, even though they are slighty better than what was in there, they are still horribly uncomfortable to sit in for any amount of time.

Does anyone know of any seats, better than the stock ones, that are bolt in replacements or will fit with a little modification? Any help is appreciated.

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste..or opinion. My wife hates my '89 Limited seats (leather, power, etc.). To keep her wheelin' with me, I too am interested in replacement seats that don't require too much fab work. I really don't want to pay $500+ (each) for MasterCraft seats.

the problem with junkyard replacement seats is they are all so damn old and have just way to many ass-miles on them. They are all beat up with no cushioning left.

I bought a pair of 96 ZJ seats and had adapters fabbed up using some angle iron.

Cost me 60 bucks for the seats, 80 bucks for the adapters.

Garage pro makes bucket seats on the cheap side. I bought pair when JC Whitney was having a Buy one Get one free sale a few months ago and i love them.

Islander, how would the adapters be to fab up? I have access to a small mig, drill press, and some scrap steel.

got any pics of them?

Credit for the work goes to Hellbilly04

ZJtoXJseatbracket1.jpg

ZJ-XJ3.jpg

IM002472.jpg

I bought a pair of 96 ZJ seats and had adapters fabbed up using some angle iron.

Cost me 60 bucks for the seats, 80 bucks for the adapters.

why did the adapters cost so much? i assume u got a shop to do it?

i am sure with a mig welder and a drill u could make some "adapters"
thats how i want to mount my racing seats

I'm really happy (well almost) with my stock 89 xj limited leather seats. except the fact they are falling apart and I cannot find replacements without going to a cloth seat. I am going to adapt seats out of a 2003 impreza wrx to my brackets and retain my power option

My 91 limited seats are fine, but if I had a need I would go with some Corbeau Baja's they are reasonably cheap, extremely comfortable and durable suspension type and you can adapt them similarly to what is shown or use Corbeau's brackets for an additional cost. www.corbeau.com

why did the adapters cost so much? i assume u got a shop to do it?

i am sure with a mig welder and a drill u could make some "adapters"
thats how i want to mount my racing seats

Yes, I paid OTR Fabwerks (Hellbilly04) to do it. I dont own a welder, can't weld, and 80 bucks was still cheaper than Corbeau's brackets that might have worked, but would not be exact for these seats.

Back