• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quadratec replacement leafs...

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
anyone try these yet? ive heard talk of them and noticed they offer a HD spring and what have you. im thinking of replacing my rears with these and doing a lift shackle to replace the RE BB AAL and the rears with 100k on them.

A few weeks back there was a multipage thread on Q-tec springs & it's full of info. I believe the initial post was a question similar to yours. Try an advanced search using the title of your thread.

i search and a guy on JF netted almost 2"... im wonder if running that with a BB that includes a shackle will be alittle better for a daily driver than a 3" lift. so, i wonder if doing so will help me accomodate moabs and 245s?

I put some HD leafs on about 6 months ago and they put about 2" on it. Since then it has settled to 1 1/2".

Ken

hmmm alright, so im thinking of doing the springs in the rear with a 2" shackle and possibly a 2" spacer with some zj coils in the front. something easy, keep her somewhat stock and improve the handling.

Might have been a thread I started, not sure. In any case, I replaced the OEM rear leafs, shocks and bushings in my 2000 over Labor Day weekend. The original OEM leafs were really starting to sag. I took a small gamble and ordered the QT HD replacements. They're great. I'd guess (I meant to measure ride height before I R&R'd the leafs) that I got the 1.5-2" of sag back, plus another 1.5-2" of rear height. No issues at all.

So, my verdict on the QT HD leafs is thumbs-up. Do yourself a favor and order replacement u-bolts and nuts while you're at it. Also be prepared with a plan for the bushings. The OEM ones are probably worn and would be a pain to press out without a good press. I replaced them (no issues on the leafs themselves but I also chose to replace the bushings on the upper end of the shackles and getting the original bushings out required some creativity and some brute force).

I've been meaning to write up my experience...nothing earth-shattering but a few points that might help...

hmmm alright, so im thinking of doing the springs in the rear with a 2" shackle and possibly a 2" spacer with some zj coils in the front. something easy, keep her somewhat stock and improve the handling.

I'll add that the thing that pushed me over the edge on replacing the rear leafs was that I noticed that the XJ had become much less stable exiting highway ramps at speed than it had been when new. I didn't really need any lift and wasn't worried about the cosmetics but the sagged out leafs were definitely affecting handling. The new springs are a huge improvement. The vehicle is much more stable than before I replaced the leafs.

just spend the extra coin and get the 2 in ome packs!

I'm running their HD leaf packs. I did a 2" BB at the same time. The ass end was up MUCH higher than the front, due to the extra lift provided by the leafs. They have settled some, but not much.

IMAGE_085.jpg

You can see the difference here. Stock on the drivers side, HD on the passenger side.

IMAGE_083.jpg

I have the Q-tec HD's on my daily driver but I cut the "eyes" off of them and bastard packed the Q-tec springs with the stock main leafs and got a solid 2.5" of lift out of them. I tow a 3k pound bass boat with this XJ and 2 years later I still have about 2.25" of lift from the pack. It rides and handles good.

With that said if I had to do it over again I would probably get Alcan or Deaver to build me a set of springs and spend the extra money. OME use to make some nice HD springs but I have heard that their quality has fallen over the last couple of years.

I put the 'heaviest' duty ones on my 98 XJ and they lifted it a solid 2" over stock. I really didn't want a lift at the time, just new springs because the stockers sagged so bad. So I was 'forced' to put a 1" coil spacer in the front so it wouldn't look like a funny car anymore. Then when it came time to put new tires on, I was able to tuck 31x10.50's with the only thing needing to be done was moving the front bumper endcaps slightly forward and adjust the steering stops. Mind you, I rarely go off-road and only use the Jeep as a daily driver. With any real flex the 31's will rub. Anyways, the springs ride really nice and have held up for over a year now with almost no sag.....only downside is that even with the minor 'lift' the did give my 98 very minor vibes around 35 mph. Sorry for the bad picture...

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k34/StevieRT/Cherokee/?action=view&current=Cherokee.jpg

What about the standard duty springs? Mine need replaced BAD but I'm trying to keep ride quality in mind so I've ruled out the HD springs, plus from what I've read I don't want 2" of lift in the back. Anybody have any experience w/the standard duty springs?

I did the same thing as xjtrailrider, HD qtec (Crown Automotive) leaf packs wed to the stock mains and got 2 inches lift after settling. The install was greatly facilitated by not having to fight with the shackle bolts. The ride is not at all harsh, in fact no moreso than with my old stock packs and my ass end stays up when loaded down.

I put a set of QT HD's on my 91 about 2 years ago along with 1.5 in blocks and am running 31's, they are holding up great. They worked so well i put em on my 96 a couple of weeks ago along with a ProComp 3in kit, waiting for tires now, but i would def recommend the QT HD's!!!

Couple of questions on the QT HD leafs.

1) So with about 1.5" lift, can one run 235 tires for wheeling, not just DD-ing (with adding 1" coil spacers in the front)? Any rubbing?

2) How about shocks, should the shocks be changed also for the same reason; that is, for wheeling?

My 2000 was sagging real bad, front and rear, so I got a set or the QT HD springs and cut and added the main leaf and the second leaf from my stock pack to them and ended up with around 3 1/2 inches of lift.
For the front I put in a new set of V8 ZJ coils with a 2" spacer for about 4 inches.
Longer U-bolts, longer rear brake line, and longer shocks all around were needed.

Back