• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows and locks!

Tuckman1941

NAXJA Member #747
I think I need to replace the power wire for the windows and locks my driver's door. Can someone tell me which one it is?

I've been dealing with the usual issues with the wiring to my driver's door for some time now. It started with replacing a speaker wire, then doing the jumper for the defective window lock button.

Now, all of the controls on my driver's door are dead. I cannot move my windows from any door, but the power locks still work from the other doors and the keyless remote. I know... at this point I should have a shop manual.

Thanks!

P.S. 2000 XJ

All of the windows draw power from a 12-gauge wire in the driver's door, while the locks are on independent circuits. From what you describe, I suspect that the plug in the door just came loose. Did you use the spring clips when you put the panel back on?

I pluged everything back in and gave each connector a jiggle. No luck. By spring clips, do you mean the clips on each connector?

I should add that for the last couple of weeks, everything stopped working only when the door was more than part way open, leading me to believe stress on a wire was beginning to be a problem.

But since you say they're on different circuits... :dunno:

I have three big white plugs and a couple of small black ones. They all seem ok.

Thanks for your help! I guess I know what I'll be doing all evening. I'll be back with an update...

Sure'nuf, the ground wire for the whole door was broken between the door and body. Replaced it, and I'm back in business. If I was smart, I would replace all the wiring now rather than going through this every few months. I'll do it next time!

replace what you need to wire wise. i need to do the same, but with winter setting in fast....
my drivers window hasn't worked since we got her (1989 xj, bought 2 years ago).
the main wire in the door has a big bare spot in it & i didn't have any tape with me last time i had the panel off.

Back