• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting Bumper Guard

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I picked up what might have once been a smittybilt bumper thumper front end guard/bull bar whatever you want to call it. Supposed to have come off an XJ. But I can't figure out how the hell it mounts :huh:

It's too narrow to mount where the tow hooks mount. Does the bumper have to be cut? I have a 98 with the front air dam removed, so that's not the issue.

Pics of the bar:
P1020334.jpg

P1020335.jpg

P1020336.jpg

Anyone have any experience with one of these that can guide me in the right direction? Does the bumper have to be removed?

That last picture, showing what should be the bumpers profile.......dosent appear to be
anything close to an XJ's bumper profile......most likely the issue.

It seems possibly close, until you get to the bottom mounting bolt. If it was in a few inches, it would make sense. Thats why Im wondering if the bumper needs to be cut :dunno:

I know that other companies who sell these things have different models for the two body styles. It may be that you have the incorrect series. My suggestion is to look for a part number stamped on it and then search the Smittybilt site for docs, or send a link to the picture to their customer support.

They have no info, Ive already tried that. I think I saw one on an older XJ on the side of the road the other day, Ill have to see if I can stop and take a look.

Back